If you love fishing, the capital city has enough catch to keep you busy! For fishing in Abu Dhabi, you can venture into the deep sea and catch fish to your heart’s content. So pick up some bait and get ready to have some holiday fun. Its time to probe into Abu Dhabi’s top fishing spots!
Fishing in Abu Dhabi
Fishing is one of the favourite pass times of a lot of visitors and residents in Abu Dhabi. There are many things that contribute to a successful expedition, including finding the best fish bait in Abu Dhabi. Let’s go over some of the key details to keep in mind while going fishing or crabbing in Abu Dhabi.
Which are the best fish to catch in Abu Dhabi
If you are planning to catch a fish in Abu Dhabi then you should do so between October to May. This is the best time for fishing in Abu Dhabi. And in case, you want to find tunas and dorados in winters, hunt between November to February.
Off the shores of Abu Dhabi, you can catch kingfish, sailfish, queenfish, dorado and tuna. However, if you venture out into the deep sea, you can find shari, giant trevally, blue and white marlin, grouper fish, Spanish mackerel and wahoo.
- There are many boat charters around that rent out a myriad of charter boats so you don’t need to worry about fishing equipment. You can reach out to Arabian Divers & Sport Fishing Charter or Captain Tony’s to get any equipment or enjoy sportfishing excursions in Abu Dhabi.
- Arabian Divers & Sport Fishing Charter arranges coast guard approved boats, nautical charts, bait and Mann, Yo-Zuri and Penn’s sportfishing equipment. They offer a full day sport-fishing charter for up to eight hours.
- Similarly, located near the rental apartments of Yas Island, Captain Tony’s is a charter company in Abu Dhabi that lets you charter a four-hour private fishing tour of five people in the morning or late afternoon at AED 1,600. The company also offers fishing equipment, fresh bait, sandwiches and soft drinks during the trip.
How to get a fishing License in Abu Dhabi?
If you want to fish properly in Abu Dhabi, you will need a fishing license from the Abu Dhabi Environment Agency. The license will enable you to fish with a hand-held rod and reel rather than a fishing net.
- However, you need to be over 18 years old to get such a license.
- The weekly cost of a license is AED 30.
- In case, you are going on a fishing excursion with a company, you don’t need to worry as the company taking you will already have a commercial license which will cover you.
Documents required to get a license for fishing in Abu Dhabi
You have to submit the following documents to get a fishing license:
For local residents
- Passport copy (with residency for non-local)
- Personal photo
- Boat license (for recreational fishing)
For non-local residents
- Tenancy contract/ownership certificate
- Electricity bill
- Job Contract and Official letter
Fishing spots in Abu Dhabi
Now that we know all about obtaining a license, let’s take a look at some of the best fishing locations in Abu Dhabi where you can indulge in sport fishing activities.
Located off the west coast of the capital city, Al Aryam Island is one of the most well-known fishing places in Abu Dhabi that contains horse ranches and royal palaces. Formerly referred to as Bu Khushaishah, it is a famous spot for fishing in Abu Dhabi where people come and catch fish. You can find various fish there including breams and mackerels. Offering breathtaking views of the sea, it also serves as a natural habitat for flamingoes. If you are planning to go fishing in Abu Dhabi today, this can be an ideal place for you.
- Al Aryam fishing location: 24° 18′ 24.5376” N, 54° 13′ 35.6124” E
One of the most well-known spots for fishing in Abu Dhabi is Al-Bateen Beach, near Hodariyat bridge. Al Bateen lacks some amenities, such as benches and umbrellas provided on beaches like Corniche Abu Dhabi, but this just means that it is less crowded than other popular beaches, making it an ideal location for sport fishing in Abu Dhabi.
The beach was recently awarded the blue flag sustainability award by the Emirates Wildlife Authority. With a permit, you can fish for stingrays, hammour or kingfish and if you’re very lucky you could even catch a trophy worthy sailfish.
- Bateen Beach fishing location: 24.4273° N, 54.3773° E
The Icad II is another great place for fishing in Abu Dhabi located at the edge of Musaffah South, right off Taif road. It is an ideal campsite for those who love to indulge in sea fishing adventures. If you are planning to go there, make sure to bring your own food and water.
- Icad II fishing location: 24.2930° N, 54.4616° E
The Al Rahba fishing spot in Abu Dhabi is located near Al Sheleilah island north in Ras Sadr. The actual fishing spot is around 14 minutes away from Al Samha Abu Dhabi. It’s a great spot to see the tide coming in. The stream is quite strong and the area is home to a wide variety of fish.
- Al Rahba fishing location: 24°40’57.6″N, 54°39’39.6″E
Al Raha Beach
The Al Raha fishing spot is located near Yas tunnel at the edge of the Al Zeina desert. If you want to fish at Al Raha Beach, your best bet is to get a boat rental from Yas Island and travel by water to this location.
- Al Raha Beach location: 24°27’35.8″N, 54°36’44.3″E
Situated a few minutes away from Stasio and Rysio beach on Yas North near the Iron Bridge, Yas Island is another great fishing spot in Abu Dhabi worth visiting. During the fishing season, it’s quite easy to catch barracuda and queenfish here.
- Yas Island location: 24°30’25.2″N, 54°34’32.0″E
If you are looking for the place where you have the best fishing experience, Hameem Beach can be your best bet. Located 21 minutes away from Musaffah South, it is a secluded haven in Abu Dhabi where you can go camping and fishing. Strategically placed, it is the perfect picnic spot to spend with your friends and family, fishing giant mackerels while watching the beautiful sunset.
- Hameem Beach Fishing Location: 24.2565° N, 54.3849° E
Ever wondered how it would feel to fish on a kayak? In a calm environment, amid the cooing of birds and the magnificent mangrove trees, you can scoop up a fish from the serene waters of the lagoon at Eastern Mangrove in Abu Dhabi. A perfect spot for fishing in Abu Dhabi, it is a place where you can fish and also gain insight into the dynamic ecosystem it harbours. You can find plenty of birds and fish there. Make sure you take waterproof bags for your gadgets.
One of the deep sea fishing spots in Abu Dhabi, Eastern Mangrove is located just nine minutes away from the famous Mushrif Mall so you can easily stop by the spot on your next visit to the shopping centre.
- Eastern Mangroves location: 24° 26′ 46.08″ N, 54° 26′ 19.53″ E
And that wraps up our guide to fishing in Abu Dhabi. If you are on the lookout for other venues for fishing in the UAE, our guide to fishing in Dubai may help you. If you’re looking for fun things to do in this weather then you can cool off at the most amazing beaches in Abu Dhabi.