Are you confused between the properties in Saadiyat Island or Yas Island? Yas Island and Saadiyat Island have both made their mark in Abu Dhabi real estate as the most prime, luxury residential areas in the capital city. Bayut’s Q1 2019 market report revealed that both areas ranked amongst the most popular to buy and rent properties in Abu Dhabi. With both island communities offering fabulous properties, amenities and attractions, investors and renters are often confused about which is ideal for them: Saadiyat Island or Yas Island? Today, MyBayut compares both islands in terms of properties for sale and rent, lifestyle and upcoming projects. Find out answers to your most pressing questions, ‘Which is more expensive: Yas Island or Saadiyat Island?’, ‘Which area has a better ROI?’ and ‘Which area offers bigger square footage?’. This comparison between living in Saadiyat Island and Yas Island will help you make a more informed decision when investing or renting in two of Abu Dhabi’s hottest residential developments.
Want a quick overview of Saadiyat Island vs Yas Island? Take a look at the infographic below, and keep reading for a more in-depth comparison.
Saadiyat Island or Yas Island: Where Should You Buy Property?
For investors looking to enter the luxury Abu Dhabi real estate market, both Saadiyat Island and Yas Island are strong contenders. One of the most important factors to consider buying property in Saadiyat Island or Yas Island is the developers. In this instance, both islands are being developed by ALDAR Properties, one of Abu Dhabi’s leading real estate developers. The properties in Saadiyat Island were being developed by the government-owned Tourism Development and Investment Company (TDIC), before ALDAR Properties acquired certain assets of TDIC, with a focus on Saadiyat Island. ALDAR Properties is also behind other prime residential developments in Abu Dhabi, including Al Raha Beach and Al Raha Gardens.
Investors will find that both islands have a diverse portfolio of properties for sale, including both apartments and villas. Both areas also have a mix of ready and off-plan properties for investors to consider.
BUY APARTMENTS IN SAADIYAT ISLAND OR YAS ISLAND
Looking to buy apartments in Saadiyat Island or Yas Island? Buyers will find that Yas Island has a far larger portfolio of apartments for sale, providing them with more choice. The apartments for sale in Yas Island range from studios to 4-bedroom units, which will appeal to different investor profiles. Similarly, Saadiyat Island also offers apartments in various configurations, from studios to luxurious 5-bedroom penthouses.
However, the average square footage for apartments for sale in Saadiyat Island is larger than those in Yas Island. For instance, the average size of a 1-bedroom apartment in Yas Island is 686 sqft while a 1-bedroom apartment in Saadiyat Island is 1,050 sqft. For home buyers looking for larger living space, the choice of larger apartments for sale in Saadiyat Island makes it an ideal choice.
However, the larger square footage also comes with a heftier price tag. The price to buy apartments in Saadiyat Island is considerably higher than Yas Island.
- For apartments in Yas Island, investors can expect to shell out AED 800k for studios, while 1 and 2-bedroom units cost an average of AED 1.2M and AED 1.95M respectively.
- Saadiyat Island’s apartments for sale are priced higher at AED 1.15M for studios, AED 2.3M for 1-bedroom units and AED 2.85M for 2-bedroom units.
- But investors should also keep in mind that apartments in Saadiyat Island deliver an outstanding ROI of 9%, much higher than Yas Island’s 6.6%. The better ROI may offset the higher sale price for Saadiyat Island’s apartments and prove more lucrative for those looking at buy-to-let properties in Abu Dhabi.
INVEST IN VILLAS IN YAS ISLAND OR SAADIYAT ISLAND
Both islands are known for their luxury villas with high-quality interiors, sprawling gardens and spacious layouts. Both areas also have a similar portfolio of villas for sale – Yas Island villas range from 3 to 6-bedroom units while Saadiyat Island villas for sale range from 3 to 7-bedroom layouts. However, investors looking at 3 to 4-bedroom villas will find a larger selection available in Yas Island. Meanwhile, Saadiyat Island has a wider selection for larger units from 5 to 6-bedrooms. When it comes to average square footage, the villas for sale in Saadiyat Island tend to have larger layouts than those in Yas Island. So if you fancy a bigger villa, Saadiyat Island will be the better bet.
Many investors also ask the question, Yas Island or Saadiyat Island: which is more expensive to buy? Similar to apartments, the Saadiyat Island villas for sale are priced higher for their ultra-luxurious interiors and larger living space.
- The average buying prices for villas in Yas Island are AED 3.01M for 3-bedroom villas, AED 4.1M for 4-bedroom units and AED 4.6M for 5-bedroom units.
- The Saadiyat Island villas for sale will cost buyers more, averaging at AED 6.3M for 3-bedroom units, AED 6.8M for 4-bedroom villas and AED 8.65M for 5-bedroom units.
- The villas in Yas Island may come out as the prime choice for end-users and investors here, with lower prices, more choice and a stronger ROI of 5.2%. In comparison, Saadiyat Island villas for sale deliver a lesser ROI of 4.5%, however, those who want massive layouts and waterfront living would prefer the units in this area.
Saadiyat Island or Yas Island: Where Should You Rent Property?
According to Bayut’s Q1 2019 market report, both islands also ranked amongst the top areas to rent in Abu Dhabi. If you’re considering moving homes and have wondered, ‘Yas Island or Saadiyat Island: which is more expensive to rent?’, read on. We’ll take you through the properties for rent on both islands as well as the lifestyle offered, so you can make better rental decisions.
RENTAL APARTMENTS IN YAS ISLAND OR SAADIYAT ISLAND
Thinking of renting apartments in Saadiyat Island or Yas Island? Currently, Saadiyat Island has a larger portfolio of rental apartments for potential tenants to browse. This may be primarily because the only ready development with apartments in Yas Island is Ansam. This development boasts golf course views and offers upscale apartments from studios to 3-bedroom units. Meanwhile, there are several developments with rental apartments in Saadiyat Island including Saadiyat Beach Residences and Saadiyat St Regis Residences. These luxury apartments benefit from access to private beaches and lush golf courses. Potential tenants in search of larger units will find that Saadiyat Island apartments for rent range from studios to 4-bedroom units. The square footage for the apartments for rent in both areas is similar; for instance, 1-bedroom units in Saadiyat Island are 810 sqft while the same in Yas Island is 851 sqft.
- The prices to rent apartments in Yas Island are typically lower than Saadiyat Island. Renters can expect to pay starting prices of AED 55k for studios, AED 75k for 1-bedroom units and AED 106k for 2-bedroom units.
- However, limited supply of larger units such as 3-bedroom apartments in Yas Island may have pushed up the starting rental prices to AED 170k. This may change in the coming years as more projects are handed over.
- In comparison, Saadiyat Island apartments for rent start at AED 70k for studios, AED 80.5k for 1-bedroom units and AED 130k for 2-bedroom units.
- Larger units such as 3-bedroom apartments in Saadiyat Island have rental prices start at AED 150k.
RENTING VILLAS IN SAADIYAT ISLAND OR YAS ISLAND
When it comes to villas for rent in Yas Island or Saadiyat Island, the latter has a larger selection of properties to browse. The only development with rental villas in Yas Island currently is West Yas, which has 4 and 5-bedroom units. Those living in Yas Island will benefit from stylish villas’ location at the edge of the island, overlooking lush mangroves. However, currently, there is a limited supply of 3-bedroom villas for rent in Yas Island.
In comparison, the villas for rent in Saadiyat Island range from 3 to 7-bedroom units, offering tenants with a wider choice. There are currently two developments with rental villas in Saadiyat Island: HIDD Saadiyat and Saadiyat Beach. Both of these offer beachfront villas that are designed with comfort and style in mind.
- The average price to rent villas in Yas Island is AED 214k for 4-bedroom units and AED 230k for 5-bedroom villas.
- Similar to apartments, the rental prices for villas in Saadiyat Island is higher than Yas Island. Renters can expect to pay average prices of AED 300k for 3-bedroom villas, AED 320k for 4-bedroom units and AED 410k for 5-bedroom villas.
LIVING IN YAS ISLAND VS LIVING IN SAADIYAT ISLAND
When choosing to rent in Yas Island or Saadiyat Island, there is also the lifestyle to consider, aside from prices.
- Living in Yas Island means proximity to a variety of thrilling attractions such as the Yas Marina Circuit, which hosts the highly-anticipated Formula 1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix annually. The apartments and villas in Yas Island are also close to capital city’s world-famous theme parks including Ferrari World, Yas Waterworld and Warner Bros. World.
- A variety of other amenities such as Abu Dhabi’s largest mall, parks, beaches, supermarkets make living in Yas Island a luxurious experience.
- The various events, attractions and dining and retail options draw many single professionals and young couples to live in the area. However, the presence of two schools and mosques and clinics on the island makes the area family-friendly as well.
Meanwhile, Saadiyat Island has earned its spot as the cultural capital of the city, with art fairs, exhibitions and workshops happening often.
- Attractions and spaces such as The Louvre Abu Dhabi and Manarat Al Saadiyat make the area ideal for those with an interest in art, history and culture.
- Similar to Yas, living in Saadiyat Island means an array of leisure activities and amenities to enjoy. Residents of the apartments and villas in Saadiyat Island have access to restaurants, world-class golf course and beaches. Saadiyat Island is also home to supermarkets, a nursery, school and university, which make it ideal for families to live here.
- Both Saadiyat Island and Yas Island have a mix of expats and locals that proudly call these areas home.
What to Expect from These Areas
While both residential islands in Abu Dhabi are already prestigious addresses, these areas aren’t done yet. Those considering investing in Yas Island will be glad to know that the island will be welcoming a new waterfront and entertainment destination, Yas Bay. Located on the southern part of the island, Yas Bay will house the highly-anticipated Yas Arena, promenades, a cinema, upmarket hotels, restaurants, cafes and more. It’s set to become of one of the hottest entertainment venues in Abu Dhabi and heightens the investment potential of the properties in Yas Island.
Meanwhile, Saadiyat Island’s Cultural District will be home to the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi and Zayed National Museum in the future, cementing its position as a cultural hub. The district will also be home to upscale retail outlets, boutique hotels and promenades, providing an exceptional experience for visitors and those living in Saadiyat Island.
And that brings an end to the in-depth comparison of Yas Island and Saadiyat Island. We hope this article helps you find your dream home or investment in Saadiyat Island or Yas Island. You may also want to read up on our guides to living in Yas Island and life in Saadiyat Island to find out whether this is the right place for you. And stay tuned to MyBayut for more articles on Abu Dhabi’s residential islands.