In an effort to support the UAE’s move towards enhancing sustainability and using alternative resources, many automobile companies are rolling out various models of electric cars in the UAE. Slowly replacing the mainstream petrol cars that work using an internal combustion engine, these energy-efficient cars are becoming popular with motorists across the country. If you are keen on adopting a more environment-friendly lifestyle, here are some of the companies offering electric cars in the UAE.
TOP AUTOMOBILE COMPANIES WITH ELECTRIC CARS IN THE UAE
Until a few years ago, not many automobile brands offered electric cars. That however, is no longer the case. As the situation continues to improve with every passing year, more and more automobile companies are investing in electric models that are fuel-efficient and environment-friendly. Here are some of the leading car companies where you can find the best electric cars in the UAE.
Globally renowned for their electric vehicles and clean energy products, Tesla was one of the first companies to introduce environment-friendly electric cars in the UAE. A pioneer in automobile innovation, Tesla has a good inventory of electric cars that have zero emissions and works on 100% battery power.
There are four Tesla electronic cars available in the UAE currently. While Model S, Model X and Model 3 have been in the market for quite some time, Tesla has rolled out a newer model in 2021.
Model Y is a mid-size SUV with a 68 cu ft cargo space. The car can travel up to 326 miles without requiring a recharge. The average cost of Model Y starts at AED 180k. You can visit their website to know more if you’re interested in buying a Tesla electric car in the UAE.
- Options Available: Model S, Model X, Model 3, Model Y
- Tesla Showrooms in the UAE: Multiple including The Dubai Mall; Yas Mall, Abu Dhabi
- Contact: +971-4-521-7777 (Dubai Mall) | +971-2-414-6401 (Yas Mall)
BAYERISCHE MOTOREN WERKE AG (BMW)
Tesla is not alone in its efforts to introduce electric cars in the UAE. BMW, also has an impressive portfolio of electric cars in the country. The company has manufactured quite a few electric cars for driving enthusiasts.
There are four different models of electric cars available in the BMW’s i series. However, at the BMW’s UAE showrooms, you can only find the high-roof hatchback BMW i3.
- Options Available: BMW i3
- BMW Showrooms in the UAE: Multiple including Sheikh Zayed Road, Al Quoz 1, Dubai | Airport Road, Abu Dhabi
- Contact: 800-2462 (Al Quoz 1) | 800-269 (Airport Road)
Chevrolet is a globally known automobile brand by American manufacturer, General Motors. The famous automotive giant launched the Chevrolet Bolt EV, a five-door all-electric subcompact car in 2017. It became the first electric car ever to operate on a single charge to cover an estimated distance of 520 km. The starting price of the Bolt EV cars in UAE is AED 168,500 as per the rates advertised online.
- Options: Bolt EV
- Chevrolet Showrooms in the UAE: Multiple including Al Ittihad Road, 128-563 Al Khabaisi, Dubai
- Contact: +971-4-519-0000 (Al Ittihad Road)
RENAULT GROUP UAE
Established in 1899, Renault is a French automobile manufacturer known for cars, vans, aircraft and auto rail vehicles. With the launch of the energy-efficient ZOE series, the company has entered the market for electric cars in the UAE.
The modern-looking car with a space-efficient design was recognised with the Best Small Electric Car 2020 award at the annual What Car? awards ceremony.
ZOE is currently available in two grades: Life and Intens. While Life has an Isofix children attachment system, daytime running lights, Intens contains a hands-free smart card and telephone system. Life is available at a starting price of AED 137k. For Intens, you can contact Renault to receive a quote.
- Options Available: ZOE series
- Renault Showrooms in the UAE: Multiple including Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai | Near Tasjeel Auto Village, Sharjah
- Contact: +971-4-339-3857 (Dubai) | +971-6-598-6222 (Sharjah)
Operating since 1967, the Korean Automobile company, Hyundai Motors needs no introduction. It has a reputation for offering some of the most cost and fuel-effective cars globally.
The company has shown tremendous growth in the past few years. Hyundai UAE has three different models of electric cars available. Potential buyers can choose from the KONA, IONIQ and the NEXO.
The Hyundai electric cars in the UAE is powered by Lithium-ion polymer battery that enables it to accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h within a matter of seconds!
- Options Available: KONA Electric, IONIQ Electric and NEXO
- Hyundai Showrooms in the UAE: Multiple including Al Ittihad Road, Deira, Dubai | Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Rd, Sharjah
- Contact: +971-4-605-6666 (Dubai) | +971-6-509-5777 (Sharjah)
Ford, the famous American multinational automotive company, needs no introduction, but their awesome entrance into the arena of electric cars certainly warrants one. The company has recently unveiled an all-electric Mustang Mach-E in the UAE. It is expected to produce a mileage of 248 miles to 379 miles on a single charge.
The car has a magnet synchronous motors that offer peak torque within just 0.5 seconds! With smooth motors and 18-inch alloy wheels, Mach-E would make you want to be in the driver’s seat all over again! This electric car is currently not available in the UAE, but is expected to arrive soon.
- Options: Mustang Mach-E (coming soon)
- Ford Showrooms in the UAE: Multiple including 697 Sheikh Zayed Rd, Dubai | Jebel Ali Freezone Extension, South Left Side, Nearby Agility Warehouse, Abu Dhabi
- Contact: 8000-444-1066
Nissan is a well-known automobile manufacturer headquartered in Yokohama, Japan. It has rolled out the eco-friendly, innovative and comfortable electric car – Nissan Leaf globally.
The Nissan electric car in the UAE features a signature floating roof and an innovative e-Pedal, enabling you to brake or accelerate with only a single pedal. It is set to arrive in the UAE market soon!
- Options Available: Nissan Leaf (Coming Soon)
- Nissan Showrooms in the UAE: Multiple including Al Ittihad Road, Dubai
- Contact: +971-4-295-2222
Upscale automotive brand, Porsche, has also entered the electric cars market in the UAE by introducing the majestic Taycan Series. This all-electric car covers a range of up to 484 km on a single charge.
The most impressive feature of the car is the over boost that offer a great driving experience. When the car is up to 560 kW, it activates the overboost, enabling the motors to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in just 2.8 seconds.
- Cars Available: Taycan Series
- Porsche Showrooms in the UAE: Multiple including Shaikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Road, Sharjah
- Contact: +971-6-512-5550
Jaguar has also joined the electric vehicle market with its powerhouse I-Pace electric car. Maintaining the brand’s luxurious aesthetic the I-Pace has a highly aerodynamic and elegant design which augments its performance.
I-Pace can accelerate from 0-100Km/h in 4.8 seconds. The cost of this all-electric SUV starts at AED 323k.
- Cars Available: Jaguar I-Pace
- Jaguar Showrooms in the UAE: Multiple including Sheikh Zayed Road, Between 3rd and 4th interchange, Dubai
- Contact: +971-4-403-7070
Please note that electric car price in the UAE varies on the basis of models. It’s better to visit the showrooms of the respective automobile manufacturers to know the exact cost.
What are the advantages of using electric cars in the UAE?
If you’re planning on buying an electric car in the UAE, here are some of the benefits you’ll enjoy:
- Electric cars require less maintenance
- EVs are cheaper to run and maintain
- They are more digitally connected and have a good torque
- They are more responsive than conventional cars
How much does it cost to charge an electric car in the UAE?
It depends on the battery’s capacity. As of November 2020, the cost was 29 Fills per kWh (kilowatt hour).
What are the advantages of driving electric cars in the UAE?
In an attempt to encourage the use of electric cars, Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) have extended the duration of the EV Green Charger Programme. Motorists can enjoy free power-ups at DEWA charging stations until 31st December 2021. You must be registered to utilise this facility.
Is the UAE encouraging electric cars?
If you’re wondering, ”what does the UAE government think of electric cars”, the answer is that the country is a strong advocate of initiatives that promote its vision of clean, green energy:
- The UAE signed a deal with Tesla to add 200 vehicles to the fleet of Dubai Taxi Corporation in 2017. This deal was a part of Dubai’s plan to turn 25% of all transportation trips driverless by 2030.
- EV charging stations are now being ubiquitously installed in Dubai. There are currently more than 200 EV charging stations in Dubai that motorists can use by scanning a QR code.
And that brings an end to our list of the electric cars available in the UAE. With automobile companies launching new models each year, the number of electric cars are growing rapidly throughout the country.
The UAE has emerged as a beacon for change by replacing 20% of the car fleet of the government departments with EV vehicles. In addition to electric cars, the UAE is championing the use of electric powered buses in the country. The launch of new fleet of electric buses in Abu Dhabi epitomises the country’s relentless efforts towards sustainability.
Did you know flying cars are also coming soon to the UAE? Well, they certainly are! Uber will actually test flying cars during Expo 2020. Here is everything you need to know about the progress of flying cars in Dubai.
What do you think about the growing popularity of electric cars in the UAE? Which brand is your favourite when it comes to electric cars? Let us know in the comments below. For more information about transportation systems in the UAE, stay tuned to MyBayut.