Avid sports fans will tell you that there is nothing better than a live sporting event. However, if you can’t come in person, sharing the highs and lows, triumphs or losses with a bunch of friends at a sports bar comes a close second. Luckily for the residents of Abu Dhabi, there are several bars in the emirate with high definition screens that are big enough to make you feel as if you have the best seats in the house. From the best happy hour deals to delicious bar snacks, a visit to any of these sports bars in Abu Dhabi can help you make the most of any sporting event.
NRG Sports Café
Screenings of the latest rugby matches or cricketing events with a plate of succulent ribs and other mouthwatering bar bites — sounds like the dream combination, doesn’t it? This is why the NRG Sports Café is first on our list of best sports bars in Abu Dhabi. Broadcasted on indoor and outdoor screens, any sporting event viewed at this particular bar is sure to be memorable.
Drinks here range from draught beers to stronger items like whiskey and classic cocktails with the option of an assortment of soft drinks. And if you fancy getting in on the action yourself, you can always challenge other patrons to a game of darts or billiards. Perfect for tenants of apartments in Tourist Club Area, this is one of the Abu Dhabi sports bars where you can easily catch a mid-week game with your friends.
- Location: Le Meridian, Tourist Club Area, Al Zahiyah
- Contact: +971-2-644-6666
- Opening hours: 04:30 pm to 02:30 am | 01:00 pm to 02:00 am (Friday and Saturday) | 04:00 pm to 02:00 am (Sunday)
- Happy hour: Daily from opening to 08:00 pm at AED 25 NET
Velocity, Abu Dhabi
Featuring humongous screens that show almost every sport around the world, Velocity is next on our picks for notable sports bars in Abu Dhabi. For the best experience, we recommend visiting the place during championship matches and other major sporting events.
Crammed with wall-to-wall TV screens, your party will be able to see every pitch, serve, shot and goal in ultra-high definition. Also check out promotions for the best deals and perks. For example, Velocity’s Big Fat Quiz gives patrons the chance to win food, beverages, hotel stays and vouchers.
- Location: Mezzanine floor, Marriott Hotel, Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Street
- Contact: +971-2-304-7777
- Opening hours: 04:00 pm to 02:00 am (Sunday to Wednesday) | 12:00 pm to 03:00 am (Thursday and Friday) | 12:00 pm to 02:00 am (Saturday)
- Happy hour: 04:00 pm to 12:00 am (Sunday to Wednesday) | 12:00 pm to 12:00 am (Thursday to Saturday) for selected beverages at AED 24 (net)
Blu Sky Lounge and Grill
As the name suggests, this sports bar in Abu Dhabi is themed blue, but bar-goers definitely won’t be feeling the blues after a day spent here. Featuring large television screens, lounge events and daily promotions, this award-winning watering hole has a bar selection that is beyond impressive.
The perfect place to catch up on the latest matches, races and tournaments, the Blu Sky Lounge and Grill menu offers a number of grilled favourites from cheesy fries to the classic fish and chips.
To keep sports fans entertained, the lounge follows a schedule of major sporting events from the Premier League to the Grand Prix. Keep a lookout for their Happy Hour deals in which patrons get to avail of a buy-one-get-one-free offer on selected drinks from 11:00 pm to 03:00 am.
- Location: Southern Sun Abu Dhabi, Al Mina Street, Tourist Club Area
- Contact: +971-2-818-4888
- Opening hours: 03:00 pm to 03:00 am (Weekdays) | 12:00 pm to 12:00 am (Weekends)
- Happy hour: 03:00 pm to 11:00 pm (Weekdays) 12:00 pm to 11:00 pm (Weekends)
From budget-friendly beverages to raucous cheers during screened matches and hearty pub nibbles, McGettigan’s is the ideal hangout for sports fans. Capped at AED 28, the Happy Hour menu features popular beverages from regular bottled beer and wine to draught beers.
Additionally, the bar in Abu Dhabi also offers scheduled screenings of major sporting events shown live in HD on several mega screens. Expect to see the latest action in Championship League Football, cricket, horse racing, NFL, rugby and more. A good option for those renting villas in Al Raha Beach this Abu Dhabi sports pub is all about camaraderie and celebrating the spirit of sports.
For regular days, take advantage of their Winning Wednesdays, which is a 2 for 1 deal on small plates and mains. An award-winning Irish pub, McGettigan’s must be on your “best sports bars in Abu Dhabi” bucket list.
- Location: Al Raha Beach, Abu Dhabi
- Contact: +971-2-652-4333
- Opening hours: 03:00 pm to 03:00 am (Sunday to Wednesday) | 12:00 pm to 03:00 am (Thursday to Saturday)
- Happy hour: Daily until 10:00 pm
Cooper’s Bar and Restaurant
Also considered a top sports bar in Abu Dhabi, Cooper’s Bar and Restaurant is a British-style pub which means that you will always catch a football game being screened on one of their televisions.
The bar has some pretty sweet pub grub, like Philly Cheese Steak Fries and quesadillas which patrons can munch on as they watch their favourite teams go head to head with competing rivals.
For an English experience, order the Grilled Bangers and Mash or ask for the Daily Special. Additionally, a recently renovated outdoor area, complete with red furniture to keep up with the pub vibe, sets the mood for late drinks on a Friday night.
- Location: Park Rotana, Abu Dhabi
- Contact: +971-2-657-3333
- Opening hours: 12:00 pm to 02:30 am
- Happy hour: Please contact the bar for info
Stars ‘N’ Bars, Abu Dhabi
Also, one of our top bars in Abu Dhabi, Stars ‘N’ Bars earns props as a swanky sports bar. Whatever international sport is happening around the world, you are sure to find it featured on the television screens here.
The décor is pretty snazzy too, with racing car seats for seating and retro games to play. Keep an ear out for events during major occasions like the American Super Bowl. With perks like Ladies Night every Wednesday and Quizaholics Anonymous every Monday, it’s pretty much all fun and games at Stars ‘N’ Bars. A popular watering hole for residents of Yas Island, this bar has become something of an institution in the capital city.
- Location: Yas Marina, Yas Island
- Contact: +971-2-565-0101
- Opening hours: 11:30 am to 02:30 am | 11:30 am to 03:30 am (Wednesday to Friday)
- Happy hour: 05:00 pm to 08:00 pm (Saturday to Thursday)
Relax and watch your favourite sports channels with a glass of chilled alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverage at Murphy’s Sports Bar. Located at the Al Ghazal Golf Club, the traditional Irish sports bar is a hit with members and non-members alike. Patrons can also play indoor games like foosball for free.
Additionally, Murphy’s runs special deals during popular sporting events. For example, the bar is currently offering unlimited beverages for AED 149 during screenings of the Rugby World Cup 2019 till November. Top up this offer with 10 or more pieces of Murphy’s Honey Garlic Chicken Wings.
- Location: Al Ghazal Golf Club, Airport Free Zone, Masdar City
- Contact: +971-2-505-5023 | +971-54-581-5005
- Opening hours: 12:00 pm to 03:00 am
- Happy hour: 12:00 pm to 05:00 pm | 06:30 pm to 08:30 pm
The Sportsman’s Arms
With a title like this, and the fact that the bar is located in Zayed Sports City, pub-goers can expect The Sportsman’s Arms to offer the very best in sporting action. One of many go-to sports bars in Abu Dhabi, the bar offers a diverse range of craft beer, unique wines and Irish whiskeys.
With an informal bar lounge setting, the place is an ideal spot for watching sports with a couple of friends or business colleagues. Weekly deals are one of the many exciting reasons why the bar is always buzzing. For example, available on Wednesdays from 04:00 pm to 11:00 pm, the Burgers ‘n’ Brews deal offers a burger and craft beer for AED 89.
- Location: First floor, International Tennis Centre, Zayed Sports City
- Contact: +971-2-447-1066 | +971-50-682-8747
- Opening hours: 08:00 am to 11:00 pm
- Happy hour: 12:00 pm to 08:00 pm
From white wines to different varieties of rum, gin, tequilas and more, the Belgian Café on Yas Island is a definite nominee for go-to sports bars in Abu Dhabi.
Once you have made your selection from the assorted beverage menu, sit back and watch a game on the many TV screens available. Do visit the bar during the cooler months. The outdoor space is pretty packed during this time, but the experience is well worth it.
- Location: Radisson Blu, Yas Island
- Contact: +971-2-656-2000
- Opening hours: 12:00 pm to 02:00 am | 12:00 pm to 03:00 am (Thursday and Friday) | 04:00 pm to 02:00 am (Sunday)
- Happy hour: 05:00 pm to midnight
Rounding up our recommendations for popular sports bars in Abu Dhabi is Appaloosa. Aptly named after a popular American racehorse breed, the sports bar features a variety of creative, crafted drinks complete with American food and a lively ambience.
Inside, large screens show the latest sports including football and rugby with a choice of playing a game of billiards for free. Fridays are filled with live music and brunch. Offering exciting deals for upcoming sporting events, like the Rugby World Cup 2019 where patrons can grab a pint of Guinness for AED 35, Appaloosa is a great retreat for sports fans.
- Location: Ground floor, Marriot Hotel Al Forsan, Street 12, Khalifa City A
- Contact: +971-2-201-4131
- Opening hours: 12:00 pm to 03:00 am
- Happy hour: 11:00 am to 07:00 pm (Sunday to Wednesday)
That’s all for our review of the best sports bars in Abu Dhabi. Plan to catch the latest rugby or football match with your pals in Dubai? There are several places where you can watch the 2019 rugby world cup in Dubai. Our picks for the best sports bars in Dubai will also have you spoilt for choice. Don’t care for sports? For more laid-back experiences, visit any of our recommendations for the best rooftop bars in Dubai.