Every healthcare professional who wants to run a medical practice in Abu Dhabi or Al Ain must first acquire a HAAD license — an official document that offers licensure for medical professionals like nurses, doctors and pharmacists to work in the UAE. How do you apply for a HAAD license and how do you know whether you are exempt from taking the exam for it? Let’s find out.
Why do I need a HAAD license to practice medicine in Abu Dhabi?
Those who want to practice within a particular profession in the UAE must first acquire a professional license for it. Healthcare professionals in Abu Dhabi are required to obtain a license through the Health Authority of Abu Dhabi (HAAD) for which they will have to pass the HAAD exam.
A HAAD license is valid for 5 years from the date of passing the HAAD exam. The medical license must be current and valid during a health professional’s practice. Additionally, it must also be renewed 3 months before the expiry date. Medical professionals are also required to get a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from their hospital management for the license.
Medical disciplines that require licensure to practice in Abu Dhabi include:
- Dentistry (Consultant/GP Dentist/Specialist)
- Physicians (Consultant/ Medical Practitioner/ Specialist)
- Allied health
How do I apply for a health professional license?
All health professionals can apply for a medical license to work in the country through the HAAD website. Here is the process in detail:
- Submit your application and required documents through the DataFlow verification company
- An email will be sent to you containing the application number and payment methods for DataFlow
- Pay the DataFlow fee via credit card
- After successful verification, receive another email which will provide you with a new password and username along with a link to the HAAD e-licensing system
- Complete the application process through the HAAD website with the received credentials
- The application will be reviewed by the Health Professional licensing section and forwarded either for the exam or for direct licensure (in case applicant is exempt from taking the HAAD exam)
- Register for the exam upon successful approval
- Pay the fee once the license is approved
- Receive the license via courier
What documents are required for HAAD license?
All documents required for the Health Authority-Abu Dhabi license must first be legally translated into English. A full list of required documents is available at the HAAD website. In general, HAAD license requirements include these documents:
- Completed application declaration formed signed by the applicant
- A valid copy of passport
- A recent passport-sized photograph (with white background)
- Experience certificates
- Educational qualifications
- Certificate(s) of Good Standing from relevant regulatory authorities
- A letter of nomination (for applicants sponsored by facilities)
- Staff data clearance form (provided in the application)
- Current and valid Health Professional license issued by the relevant regulatory authority
- Malpractice insurance for healthcare professionals
What are the fees required for a new HAAD license?
Those applying for new HAAD licenses are required to pay DataFlow, exam and license fees. Exam fees differ according to the type of exams applied for while licensing fees are dependent on the field of specialization.
Here is a list of HAAD license fees for different medical practices:
- Licensure for Pharmacist Tech: AED 150
- Licensure for Pharmacist: AED 300
- Licensure for Tech: AED 300
- Licensure for Nurse: AED 300
- Licensure for Physicians: AED 2,600
For a full list of DataFlow fees and exam fees for specific medical disciplines, please visit the HAAD website.
How do I register for the HAAD license exam?
Upon successful verification, applicants must log onto the official website and follow this process to register for the HAAD license exam:
- Log onto the system
- Click on E-licensing and select the Examination option
- Select Exam Scheduling and click on BOOK
- Pay the exam fee and print your exam ticket
The exam fee can be paid with credit cards. Exams may be taken in Authorised Testing Centres at the applicant’s country of origin. The exam test centre in the emirate of Abu Dhabi is DoH Abu Dhabi.
Certain health professionals are exempt from taking the HAAD exam, as specified on the HAAD website. Additionally, health professionals who are over the age of 60 are required to take annual Medical Fitness Examinations from SEHA facilities.
HAAD License Renewal
Medical professionals who have successfully acquired HAAD licenses are required to renew them after 5 years, starting from the time of passing the exam. Before renewal, applicants may be required to provide documents or pass certain exams. The sponsoring healthcare facilities can request for their healthcare professionals to apply for license renewals.
Like the HAAD licence application process, renewals can be applied for online. Here is the process:
- Fill the online application on the HAAD website
- Submit the required documentation online
- Make the necessary payment at the Health Professional Licensing Section
- Receive your renewed license via courier (Empost)
Required documents for HAAD license renewal
Those looking to renew their HAAD licences are required to provide these documents:
- Recent passport-sized picture with white background
- Valid passport
- DataFlow report
- Continuous Medical Education
- Malpractice insurance
- Family Book (only for UAE nationals)
- UAE identification card
The Health Authority-Abu Dhabi website also mentions these charges for license renewals:
|Discipline||Fee for One-year renewal||Fee for Two-year renewal||Penalties per month|
|Pharmacy Technicians||AED 100||AED 100||AED 37|
|Pharmacists||AED 200||AED 300||AED 50|
|Technicians (Clinical Support Service)||AED 200||AED 300||AED 50|
|Nursing||AED 200||AED 300||AED 50|
|Physicians||AED 850||AED 1,600||AED 625|
Licenses that are not renewed within 6 months of their expiry dates will be cancelled by law. Also, applicants will incur penalties if they do not renew their licenses before they are scheduled to expire.
That’s a wrap of the process for obtaining the HAAD license and its renewal. Are you an expat who wishes to work in the capital city of the UAE? If so, you will have to apply for medical fitness tests in Abu Dhabi to validate your visa. Does your place of work happen to be in Dubai? You can apply for medical certificates from visa medical centres in Dubai.