The UAE Vision 2021 was officially launched by His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum the ruler of Dubai, at the closing of a Cabinet meeting back in 2010. The primary aim of the vision is to make the United Arab Emirates one of the best countries in the world by 2021 in terms of economic and social development. Read on to know more about the National Agenda UAE Vision 2021.
What is the UAE Vision 2021?
The UAE National Agenda was developed with the guidance of over 300 officials from 90 local government and federal entities across the country. The seven-year agenda will lead up to the UAE Vision 2021 which also coincides with the country’s 50th National Day.
The UAE’s Golden Jubilee is a milestone that promotes a new developmental model for the country. All in all, UAE Vision 2021 can be summed up in these elements:
- United in responsibility: This includes developments which will aim to achieve the best education systems, a sustainable environment and “world-class” healthcare
- United in destiny: A highlight here is the achievement of a safe public and fair judiciary
- United in prosperity: The UAE Vision 2021 National Agenda also strives to preserve a cohesive society and identity
- United in knowledge: This includes developments that improve the UAE’s business environment and increase its attractiveness for foreign investments
Main objectives of Vision 2021 UAE
The UAE Vision 2021 outlines six pillars of the UAE National Agenda. These national priorities cover education, economy, healthcare, police and security, society and sustainability. Here is an overview of each:
1 – Providing World-Class Healthcare
To ensure the health of its citizens, the UAE National Agenda stresses on the importance of preventative medicine to reduce the risk of cancer and “lifestyle-related” diseases like diabetes and cardiovascular ailments. Measures will also be taken to reduce the prevalence of smoking and improve the healthcare system’s readiness to deal with health risks and epidemics.
Furthermore, the government will also collaborate with the nation’s health authorities to have all local public and private hospitals accredited according to national and international quality standards. Some of the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) that the government has set in this regard are:
- Obesity in children
- Average life expectancy
- Healthcare quality index
- Number of physicians per 1,000 population
- Percentage of accredited health facilities
2 – Achieving a Competitive Knowledge-Economy
The development of a “Competitive Knowledge Economy” is one of the pillars of the National Agenda in line with UAE Vision 2021. The Vision states that the country will benefit from a diversified and sustainable economy that will welcome the adoption of new economic models and create international partnerships to guarantee the prosperity and future of Emiratis.
Additionally, the National Agenda also aims to make the UAE a leading nation in entrepreneurship to unlock the potential of its nationals. The KPIs determined to achieve this vision include:
- Non-oil real GDP growth
- Global Competitiveness Index
- Share of “knowledge workers” in the workforce
- Gross National Income per capita
- SME contribution to Non-Oil GDP
- Ease of Doing Business Index
3 – Safe Public and Fair Judiciary
The UAE Vision 2021 strives to make the United Arab Emirates the safest country in the world by reinforcing the rule of law and the importance of a fair and active legal system which preserves the rights of visitors, citizens and businesses. To keep the public safe and maintain a fair judiciary, the UAE has set these KPIs:
- Sense of security
- Reliability of police services
- Efficiency of the judicial system
- Road traffic deaths per a population of 100,000
- Average response time to emergencies
4 – First-Rate Education System
Providing a “First-Rate Education System” is another pillar of the National Agenda which corresponds with Vision 2021. This will entail a complete transformation of the country’s present education system and teaching practices.
One of the initiative’s targets is to ensure that UAE students excel globally in academic disciplines like mathematics, reading and science in addition to having a strong command of the Arabic language.
Below are some of the KPIs for the “First Rate Education System”:
- Average TIMSS Score Grade 4 – Mathematics
- Average TIMSS Score Grade 8 – Science
- Average PISA Score Mathematics
- Enrollment Rate in Foundation Year
- Percentage of Schools with highly effective school leadership
- Average PISA Score Reading
5 – Sustainable Environment and Infrastructure
A number of sustainable development plans for UAE have been introduced in the past few years. The UAE government has also set KPIs and launched initiatives in its quest to preserve the environment and to acquire a balance between economic and social development. The UAE Vision 2021 National Agenda focuses on enhancing the air quality, utilising clean energy, preserving precious water resources and more.
Additionally, the National Agenda also aims for the country to be the best in the world regarding the quality of its road infrastructure, airports, ports and electrical supply. Moreover, the Agenda has also set targets for providing appropriate housing for eligible UAE nationals within a stipulated time.
The Key Performance Indicators set by the country regarding a sustainable environment and infrastructure include:
- Decreasing the time it takes UAE citizens to obtain home loans
- Air quality index
- Percentage of treated waste of total generated waste
- Quality of the overall infrastructure
- Quality of water transport infrastructure
- Logistics performance index
6 – Cohesive Society and Preserved Identity
An important pillar of the UAE Vision 2021 is the maintenance of a cohesive society and preserved identity. This is to promote an inclusive environment for the integration of all of the segments in UAE society while preserving the uniqueness of the country’s culture, traditions and heritage.
Furthermore, the Agenda also strives for the country to rank well in the global Human Development Index and be the happiest of all nations. The KPIs set in this regard are:
- Happiness Index
- Human Development Index
- National Identity Index
- Number of won Olympic medals
- Family Cohesion index
- Social Cohesion Index
How can I contact UAE Vision 2021?
You can contact the appropriate authorities of the UAE Vision 2021 via the following details:
- Contact: +971-4-330-4433 | +971-4-330-4044 (Fax)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This concludes our review of the UAE Vision 2021. Read up on the UAE’s theme for 2020 towards the next 50 for insights into the government’s plans to shape the next five decades. The government also has the UAE’s Energy Strategy 2050 in place to ensure the wellbeing of its citizens in the long run. Apart from social and economic goals, the country also aims to move forward in scientific research and technological development. The recent Mars mission of the UAE is one of the important achievements of the country in this regard.
For more updates events planned for this year and beyond, stay tuned to MyBayut.