Education is the key to the success and progress of a nation. The educational system of the UAE aims to promote the overall social, economic and cultural development of the society. The Ministry of Education (MOE) in the UAE is also responsible for designing the educational strategies as well as the general academic policies of the country. The government entity also regularly invests in resources that can further improve the prevalent education system in the country. Read on to discover more about the services offered by the UAE’s Ministry of Education and other essential information.
ABOUT THE UAE MINISTRY OF EDUCATION
Under the leadership of His Excellency Hussain Ibrahim Al Hammadi, the Minister of Education and the Cabinet Member, The Ministry of Education develops laws to regulate private and public educational institutions. It is also responsible for devising and developing the curriculum and learning standards throughout the UAE.
The ministry has also successfully developed a series of safety measures and protocols during the COVID-19 pandemic. These protocols have been put into place to ensure the safety of the faculty and students as the schools and universities resume operations. All educational institutions are following the guidelines strictly.
STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES OF THE MINISTRY OF EDUCATION IN THE UAE
The MOE UAE goals are in line with the country’s strategy to promote creativity and innovation by providing students with the latest technology and skills. Here are the main objectives that the ministry strives to achieve:
- Ensure quality education at all levels including early learning institutes
- Achieve the best management and educational efficiency
- Govern educational and institutional performance
- Provide a secure, valuable and challenging learning environment
- Prepare students for employment
- Boost the volume for scientific research and innovation as per the quality, efficiency and transparency standards
- Create a culture of growth and innovation
- Provide high quality, efficient and transparent administrative services according to the set standards of quality, efficiency and transparency.
MOE has a range of services for students, schools and universities. The UAE’s Ministry of Education services include everything from scholarships to the registration of new institutes. The services are available on the homepage of the official MOE website. Here are the details of all the services offered by the ministry:
MOE offers an expansive range of services for higher education institutions and students. These e-services are available on the Ministry’s official website.
INITIAL LICENSING OF HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTE (UNIVERSITY OR COLLEGE)
This service is available for anyone who wishes to apply for a new licence to start a higher education institution such as a university or college. The application process is easy. More details on the process is available in the e-services section under the Higher Education category.
LICENCE RENEWAL FOR HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS
The Ministry of Education also offers a licence renewal service online to facilitate higher education institutions. The e-service makes it easy to renew existing licenses. You can apply online on the official website and submit the required documents. It usually takes anywhere between two and six months for the renewal process.
CHANGING THE HEADQUARTERS OF AN INSTITUTE OR TRAINING CENTRE
The institutes can also apply to change the headquarters of the university, training centre or any other higher education centre at the ministry. The service is also available as an e-service on the official MOE website. It takes 15 working days to get the headquarters changed after submitting an application.
- Charges: AED 2,000
STUDY PROGRAM ENQUIRY
The Study Program Enquiry services by the Ministry of Education in the UAE caters to Emiratis, residents and students with special needs. The service aims to provide students with an official document issued by the MOE confirming that the educational institute and its accompanying study program are accredited by the government body.
The general education category of MOE services caters to public and private schools and students. Read on to find out more about these services:
REQUEST TO OPEN A PRIVATE SCHOOL
All interested parties can apply for the opening of a new school through MOE’s official website as well.
- Charges: AED 700 for application | AED 10,000 for the issuance of the private school licence
RENEW SCHOOL LICENCE OR INSTITUTE OR A PRIVATE CENTRE REQUEST
You can also renew the school licence with a few simple steps online. Make sure to attach all the paperwork required for private school licence renewal.
REGISTRATION OF NEW EMIRATI STUDENTS AND NON-NATIONAL STUDENTS IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
This service is for school students who are seeking admission in the top-ranking public schools in the UAE. The registration process is open for both Emirati and non-national students.
Submit the application with relevant documents after creating a special account on the Al Manhal System. It takes up to five working days for registration approval. Visit the official Ministry of Education website to know about the registration period announcement.
ADMISSION FOR STUDENTS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS
Parents of children with special needs can avail of this online service for admission in any of the special education support centres throughout the country.
LICENCE FOR NURSERIES AND CHILDREN ROOMS
Anyone interested in starting a nursery or a day care centre can also apply online through MOE’s official website. It is essential to have a comprehensive academic plan, blueprints for the nursery and a list of the staff along with their qualifications. Preliminary approval is required from external authorities such as the municipality or civil defence.
- Charges: The fee depends on the grade level and number of students at the private school. The fee for schools ranges between AED 3,000 and AED 10,000, while nursery and private daycare centres can cost anywhere from AED 3,000 to AED 5,000.
As UAE is a melting pot of cultures, many families with kids move to the country for better opportunities. Since the education system across the globe varies, the need for equivalency certificates arises. To cater to this crucial need, the Ministry of Education in the UAE offers equivalency services online. These services include:
- Certificate of equivalency for university degrees issued by foreign countries. Charges include AED 100 for Bachelors, AED 200 for Doctorate.
- Equivalency certificate for grade 12 for a foreign curriculum (applies to private schools within the UAE)
- Equivalency certificate for grade 12 for foreign curriculum outside the UAE
- Equivalency attestation verification
- Request for equivalence for grade 9 to 11 for foreign curriculum (for private schools in the UAE)
- Request to reconsider committee decision (for students who received a rejection letter for equivalency)
ATTESTATION AND ACCREDITATION SERVICES
- Issuance and attestation of a study continuity certificate
- Verification service for school certificates and other related paperwork
- Attestation of academic qualifications issued by private institutions of higher education accredited in the country for teaching staff
- Attestation of academic qualifications issued by private institutions of higher education accredited in the country for students
- Initial Accreditation of an academic program
- Attestation for university qualifications
- Issuance and attestation of school certificate
- Accreditation of university qualifications (higher education)
Besides the aforementioned services, the Ministry of Education in the UAE offers other online services for schools and school students too such as:
- Reduction in grades or cycles
- Providing social and psychological care
- Student’s registration in Continuous Integrated Education (Home Schooling Stream)
- EmSAT tests request
- Licence cancellation request
- Adding stages or grade level requests
- Amend curriculum requests for private schools
- Amend or add to a private school building request
- Enquiry and payment of private school fees
- Amend activity request (add or delete institute or private centre)
- Concede school licence application
- Change the school or private institution’s name
- Change of school location application
- Issuing a new licence for a private institution
- Change board of directors and other officials on the private school/institution’s board
- Student data update services
- Assessment and evaluation of applications for students with determination
UAE nationals can apply for scholarships using the official website of the Ministry of Education in the UAE.
The MOE Happiness Centres offer various services for students, parents, school and university officials and faculty members. These happiness centres are located across the UAE in every emirate.
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION UAE CONTACT INFORMATION
For more information or queries, please contact 800-51115.
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION UAE TIMINGS
The UAE Ministry of Education opening hours are Sunday to Thursday 07:30 am – 03:00 pm.
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION UAE LOCATION
The headquarter of the MOE is located in Dubai and the complete address is Al Nahda Road, Near Al Qusais Metro Station, Next to Al Tawar 1 Centre Dubai.
This concludes our comprehensive guide to the UAE’s Ministry of Education. The ministry aims to continually improve the education standards in the UAE for schools and higher education institutions.
The Abu Dhabi Department of Education and Knowledge (ADEK) is the main regulatory authority in the capital city for private and public schools and higher education institutes.
Similarly, the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) is the governing body for schools in Dubai that regulates, monitors and assesses schools on different criterion. KHDA gives schools a ranking based on their performance.
Stay tuned to MyBayut for more updates on governing bodies in the UAE.