You are ready to move into your new Dubai home, but it’s missing something — a green front lawn. Specifically, a green garden that will probably take months to grow. What is the solution? Any gardener will tell you that artificial grass in Dubai is your best bet. Unlike real grass, the synthetic variety doesn’t have to be grown and is easy to install. The result? A beautiful green space that will also remain bug-free.
Of course, you will still need to see to the grass’s upkeep to ensure that it lasts. After all, replacements can be expensive. How do you take care of artificial grass in Dubai? What are the benefits? Can you do it yourself or will a contractor be more suitable for the job? Here is what you must know about maintaining your investment.
What is an artificial grass carpet in Dubai?
If you have never installed artificial grass, or plan to for the first time, a little info about it can help in your maintenance efforts. Also known as synthetic grass, artificial turf is simply a surface of synthetic fibers made to look like real grass. Sports enthusiasts may recognize the product as Astroturf. Covered, domed or partially covered stadiums require artificial grass since the absence of natural sunlight makes it immensely difficult to keep natural grass healthy enough to endure rough play — which also makes it perfect for residents who want to spare themselves the hassle of doing the same for their home gardens.
Artificial Grass Types
Just as different types of natural grass have different characteristics, so too does fake grass in Dubai. Most UAE residents choose the type according to specific requirements. For example, some might prefer fake grass that feels as soft underfoot as the real deal. Other people, might prefer the stiffer, more durable, variety for cost savings.
Whatever your personal preferences are, the type of artificial grass you choose for your garden will have a direct impact on your maintenance efforts. On that note, here are some types to consider:
- Nylon: Nylon synthetic grass in Dubai is also the most expensive, for good reason. Compared to other types, this variety looks more like the real deal. Additionally, it can withstand high temperatures without melting and can maintain its shape even with high foot traffic or rough play.
- Polyethylene: The perfect grass for homeowners who want a green space without sacrificing aesthetics, like an indoor golfing area, polyethylene grass is a good choice — especially if it is combined with nylon as secondary thatch.
- Polypropylene: This cheaper alternative of artificial grass made from polypropylene has a fine texture. It’s also the least durable, however, it can still be a great addition to a garden that doesn’t get a lot of foot traffic. For example, it can be used for an indoor garden.
Benefits of Artificial Grass in Dubai
There are several benefits of using artificial grass in Dubai. Here are some of the most notable:
- No Mowing: Since artificial grass can’t grow, it doesn’t need mowing. Natural grass, on the other hand, does. With the synthetic variety, you are spared from paying the cost of a lawnmower as well.
- No Mess: Nothing is more frustrating than stepping off wet grass and onto a freshly cleaned floor. Fake grass looks almost as natural and does not require muddy land to grow in. No dirt means no mess.
- Energy Savings: Summers in Dubai can be extreme with temperatures reaching more than 45 degrees. Natural grass in the UAE needs more water to stay healthy as compared to grass in other countries. On the other hand, artificial grass UAE doesn’t require watering and is much more sustainable.
- Easy Maintenance: As compared to naturally grown grass, a well-installed layer of artificial grass is easy to maintain. It won’t get patchy or thin out as easily, you won’t have to worry about any crabgrass or about fertilizing it either.
Maintaining Artificial Grass Dubai
Between pets, children and the elements, even a synthetic lawn may need some sort of management. Because let’s face it; unlike in a regular garden, where pet food or oil stains may be mown or can fade away, spills on an artificial lawn need to be taken care of post-haste to maintain quality. To make up for your artificial grass Dubai cost and ensure that it stays pristine for longer, keep these tips in mind:
Clean up mild stains immediately
Spills and stains are bound to happen if you have a family with kids or entertain friends often. Sooner or later, someone might accidentally knock their drinks, a plate of pasta may go tumbling to the ground or a pet may leave their mark somewhere on your artificial lawn. The best way to ensure that stains don’t ruin your investment is to clean up promptly. Here is how:
- Rinse the area with water and a mild detergent
- Blot spills with something absorbent like fresh kitty litter
- Rinse out cleaning solutions thoroughly
For Stubborn Stains
Compared to milder stains from non-alcoholic drinks, more stubborn stains from substances like ink, motor oil, cooking oil and crayons can be a bit more difficult to clean out. In other words, it will take more than a mild detergent or some water to get rid of them. These tips will help:
- For pet waste, allow solid waste to dry off before you remove it. This will prevent any smears and make it easier to clean off. For urine stains, sprinkle douse the area with water.
- Use mineral spirits to draw out stains from substances like oil or grease. Rinse the area and blot up the excess first.
- For really sticky stains left by substances like tree sap or chewing gum, apply dry ice or an aerosol refrigerant on the soiled area. This will freeze the substance, prevent it from sticking and make it easier to scrape off the synthetic fibres.
Long Term Maintenance
Most stains on your artificial grass in Dubai are removable, provided that you are quick on the cleanup. However, it still won’t do to be careless. Avoiding damaging or staining your lawn in the first place will make it last for the long-term.
How do you ensure this? For example, don’t lay out the grass near a swimming pool, barbecue area or anywhere else that has the propensity for potential stains. If you absolutely have to, ask your artificial grass Dubai supplier to install the product a little away from these areas. Also, keep strong chemicals and stain-friendly substances like cigarettes off the grass.
Depending on its use and upkeep, artificial grass Dubai can last from 15 to 20 years. The best way to ensure a longer lifespan is to set a regular routine of rinsing the grass, making sure that it is debris-free and brushing it.
A few essential tools are necessary for routine clean-up of artificial turfs in Dubai. The first thing you must get is a hose, preferably a longer one if your synthetic grass covers more ground. For any fallen leaves, use a leaf blower. To avoid matting, buy a rake. We recommend the plastic variety since a metal one might tear the fibers, especially if you are going for the best artificial grass in Dubai.
Four-Step Cleaning Process
There are basically four steps that will help you be more efficient in keeping your artificial lawn clean on a regular basis —clean, rinse, brush and repeat. Follow this process monthly, if not weekly. A step by step process will spare you the guesswork and help you clean up more efficiently:
- An essential activity after a party or dust storm is to remove any dust, party crackers, confetti or other debris so it protects your grass from damage
- Substances like dust and pollen are hard to clean off with just a good brushing. To keep your grass dirt-free, rinse it with a hose
- Cross brush the grass regularly, especially in areas where it is stepped on the most. Cross brushing will keep your product looking fresh at all times
Like everything else, even an artificial lawn in Dubai needs some tender loving care from time to time. An artificial grass Dubai supplier may have a better idea of how you can maintain your investment so make sure you consult one before you commit. If you still have to buy the product, consider the artificial grass Dubai cost first. Clearing up personal preferences and other requirements from the beginning can spare you the frustration of making the wrong choice and regretting it later.
That’s a wrap of our guide for taking care of artificial grass in Dubai. Of course, you can always grow your own balcony garden in Dubai too, if that suits you better.
Looking for more ideas to improve the look of your home garden? Check out our guide for creating a kid’s play area in your home. Better yet, bring your lawn parties up a notch by checking out our guide for hosting the perfect garden party for your friends or family. Of course, if you love everything natural, you can always consider our tips for growing a healthy vegetable garden in your backyard.