Having an International Driving License in Dubai is a valuable solution for people who frequently travel abroad for business or leisure. Instead of finding a ride or hailing a cab to get from one place to another every time you want to commute, you can cut the chase and get yourself a rented car to move around the city. All you need is a valid international driving license.
WHAT IS AN INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENSE (IDL)?
The international driver’s license or the International Driving Permit (IDP) is an internationally recognised legal permit that allows you to drive a vehicle in a foreign country without any legal formalities. Sanctioned by three United Nations conventions, the international driver’s license is accepted in 175 countries worldwide.
HOW DOES AN INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT HELP?
Your Dubai driving license is valid for the UAE. When you’re somewhere abroad on business or a holiday, you cannot drive there unless you have an international driving permit. Residents of Dubai who wish to drive outside the UAE should apply for an international driver’s license. Besides allowing you to drive in a foreign country, the international driver’s license offers additional benefits like:
- Functioning as a supplementary identification document
- Being proof that the holder has a valid driving license in Dubai
- Protecting the holder and their family from any accidental vehicle damage abroad
- Overcoming language barriers between law enforcement agencies and drivers because it is printed in ten different languages:
HOW TO APPLY FOR AN INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENSE IN DUBAI
Unlike the process to get a proper driving license in Dubai, obtaining an international driving license in Dubai is quite straightforward. You can get an international driving permit in Dubai online or by physically visiting one of the designated offices.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR IDL IN DUBAI
The international driver’s license requirements in Dubai include:
- The International Driving License (IDL) Form (you can download it from the ATCUAE website)
- Copy of valid passport
- Two passport size photographs
- Copy of Emirates ID
- Copy of valid Dubai driving license
APPLY ONLINE FOR IDL IN DUBAI
If you want to apply for IDL in Dubai online, you can do so via the ATCUAE website.
- Visit the ATCUAE international driving license application portal
- Complete the form with relevant information
- Attach necessary documents (PDF or JPG format, not exceeding 2MB)
- Pay the fees (AED 170 + VAT)
The online international driving permit application in Dubai takes 2 to 3 working days to process and another 2 working days to deliver. So, you may get your international driving license in Dubai in about 5 working days. You can apply for the same on the MOI UAE app.
MANUAL APPLICATION PROCESS FOR INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENCE IN DUBAI
The manual process is much quicker than the online application. All you need to do is gather the required documents and head over to the nearest branch or office of one of the following entities:
- Automobile and Touring Club of UAE (ATCUAE)
- Affiliate members of ATCUAE
- RTA offices
- Emirates Post offices
- Dnata office on Sheikh Zayed Road (E11)
Submit the documents, pay the fees and your international driver’s license will be printed and handed over to you. The entire process will take around 30 minutes to an hour at max.
- You must hold a valid driving license in Dubai
- To be eligible for the IDP in Dubai, you must complete at least one year as a licensed motorist in Dubai
- The license holder must be present at the designated office when applying for the international driver’s license
- The international driving permit is valid for one year after issuance
- The IDL in Dubai applies to cars, motorcycles and buses (heavy and light)
- The international driver’s license is NOT a substitute for a Dubai driving license for residents. It is only valid for foreign countries.
INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT HOLDERS VISITING DUBAI
Foreigners who visit Dubai with an international driving license and the intention to drive there must keep certain things in mind.
- You can drive rental cars in Dubai as long as you have a valid international driver’s license and your foreign driving license.
- If you have applied for UAE residency, your IDP in Dubai becomes irrelevant as soon as you get your UAE residence visa, in which case you need to get a proper Dubai driving license.
That’s all we have for you now. We hope you find this post useful. The rules and requirements to apply for an international driving license in Abu Dhabi are pretty much the same as Dubai. It’s just that a Dubai license would be replaced by the Abu Dhabi driving license.
Those who have moved from the US to the UAE can simply opt for a US driving license conversion to UAE license, instead of going through the entire licensing procedure. Also, knowing the most commonly used UAE traffic signs can make your journey even safer.
For more important information on life in Dubai and the UAE, subscribe to MyBayut.