Start your home business with the E-Trader licence in Dubai
Have you always wanted to start your own small business in Dubai but been put off by potential processes and fees? It’s way easier than you think! With an E-Trader licence, you can sell your handmade accessories through social media accounts from the comfort of your own home. Here’s everything you need to know about the E-Trader licence in Dubai.
THE E-TRADER LICENCE IN DUBAI
Launched in 2017 by the Department of Economic Development (DED), the E-Trader licence in Dubai is aimed at regulating home entrepreneurs doing business over social media. The E-Trader licence allows individuals or single business owners to sell their services and products on social media.
It also bolster customers’ confidence when they’re shopping online. The announcement of the E-Trade licence by DED followed in the wake of the efforts to crackdown on counterfeit and fake products being sold on social media platforms like Instagram. The licence aims to regulate the sale of products and services conducted through social media in Dubai.
ELIGIBILITY FOR THE E-TRADER LICENCE IN DUBAI
If you are an individual who promotes or sells products and services through your social media accounts or a personal website, then you’ll need an E-Trader licence in Dubai. For instance, this home business licence would apply to stay-at-home mothers promoting handmade products or photography services and selling on Instagram in Dubai.
- Home entrepreneurs who don’t have or require a physical office space are eligible to apply for the E-Trade licence in Dubai, as it does not require you to register with Ejari Dubai.
- It’s ideal for single-owner home-based businesses that don’t require a local partner and freelancers.
- UAE and GCC Nationals and expats of certain other nationalities can apply for the E-Trader licence in Dubai, with the condition that the individual is based in Dubai and is over the age of 21 years.
PERKS OF HAVING THE E-TRADER LICENCE IN DUBAI
- With this licence, individuals can legally promote and sell products and services through their social media accounts including Instagram, Facebook, personal website and more.
- You can also feature your products and services on online marketplaces. With DED E-Trader licence, individuals and single-owner businesses can legally participate in and reach out to customers at exhibitions and conferences.
- It will also protect your trade name and any other intellectual property. The DED also holds training and workshops for E-Trader licence-owners that you can attend!
- An E-Trader licence is strictly for a single-owner home-based business in Dubai or freelancer. Individuals with Dubai E-Trader licence cannot open a physical shop or issue visas.
CONDITIONS FOR E-TRADE LICENCE FOR ONLINE BUSINESS IN DUBAI
It’s important to note there are conditions on what you can sell on social media with an E-Trader licence in Dubai. Let’s have a look:
- UAE and GCC National entrepreneurs with the licence can conduct commercial activity (i.e. sell physical products and goods) and professional activity (i.e. sell professional services) on their social media accounts.
- The scope for an E-Trader licence for expats depends on nationality. Non-GCC expats can sell professional services through their social media, but not physical products. This could include maintenance, repair, event management and photography services.
- While food products are most often not allowed under this license, it would be best to double-check with DED for more information as the licences are issued on a case-by-case basis.
You can find out more about which nationalities are eligible for the licence and what you can sell through social media when you register for the licence. And if you are already running a successful business from home and want to take it further, you can apply for Virtual Company License in Dubai.
HOW DO YOU OBTAIN AN E-COMMERCE TRADE LICENCE IN DUBAI?
The process to obtain the E-Trader licence in Dubai is simple and quick:
- Apply for the licence in Dubai on the DED Trader website.
- Create a DED Trader account, register and make the payment.
- Provide information about your social media accounts when registering for the licence.
- Wait for the confirmation. Typically, you’ll get the confirmation for the licence within five to ten minutes, which you can then print out as well!
- The licence needs to be renewed every year.
DUBAI E-TRADER LICENCE FEES
You can sell all professional services like design, event and marketing management by purchasing an E-Trader licence at AED 1,070.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW TO GET E-TRADE LICENCE COPY ONLINE IN DUBAI?
You can get an E-Trade licence copy online in Dubai by following a couple of simple steps. Here you go.
- Go to DED’s website
- Select ‘My Transactions’ on the Business Dashboard page
- Click ‘Print Licence’
- Type your licence number
HOW TO RENEW TRADE LICENCE ONLINE IN DUBAI?
- Click ‘Renew Licence’ under My Transactions
- Go to ‘Licence renewal information sector’
- Type your licence number
- Click Renew
CAN YOU SELL YOUR PRODUCTS WITH AN E-TRADER LICENCE OUTSIDE OF DUBAI?
With the E-Trade licence in Dubai, you can sell your products and services within the emirate. Should you want to sell in other emirates, you must approach the respective Department of Economic Development for that emirate and ask for approval. You may have to obtain another E-Trader licence to sell in that emirate.
WHAT IS THE MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENT FOR APPLYING FOR AN E-TRADER LICENCE IN DUBAI?
Applicants must be above 21-years-old to apply for the licence.
WHAT IS THE CONTACT NUMBER FOR DED DUBAI?
The contact number for DED Dubai is +971-4-445-5555. It is advised to contact them during their working hours which are Monday to Thursday 07:30 am – 03:30 pm and Friday 07:30 am – 12:00 pm. DED Dubai is closed on Sunday and Saturday.
And this brings us to the end of our guide to the E-Trader licence for those who have a home-based business in Dubai. If you have any other questions about the E-Trade licence, you can visit the official website of DED Dubai.
If you’re looking to step into the business world, it’s imperative for you to learn about other business licences in Dubai. You can also follow the top social media influencers in Dubai to get some tips and tricks on promoting your own brand.
You can also check out our guide to breakdown of the recent UAE influencer licence to stay informed.