- Buying Property in Dubai Marina vs Downtown Dubai
- Renting Property in Downtown Dubai vs Dubai Marina
- Living in Dubai Marina or Downtown Dubai
- What to Expect in these Areas
Dubai Marina and Downtown Dubai are two of the most popular residential areas in Dubai, ranking amongst the top areas to buy or rent a property. Both offer stylish properties with state-of-the-art amenities, close to major attractions and landmarks. If you are debating on investing or renting in Dubai Marina vs Downtown Dubai, MyBayut provides an in-depth comparison of these two areas.
Take a closer look at the properties, amenities and lifestyle in these sought-after communities! Learn more about the sales and rental prices, average ROI and bed-types for properties in these two areas.
Before we delve into a detailed comparison of Dubai Marina and Downtown Dubai, take a look at the infographic below for a quick overview of the two communities.
Dubai Marina or Downtown Dubai: Where Should You Buy Property?
Dubai Marina and Downtown Dubai draw significant attention from buyers and investors, topping the list of most popular areas to buy apartments in our H1 2020 market report. Downtown Dubai is the flagship development of Emaar Properties, which is also behind other communities such as Emirates Living, Arabian Ranches and more. Dubai Marina, too, is predominantly developed by Emaar, although there are residential towers by other notable developers in the area.
When comparing Dubai Marina vs Downtown Dubai in terms of location, both districts are located off the arterial highway, Sheikh Zayed Road. However, properties in Dubai Marina are situated closer to Jebel Ali, while properties in Downtown Dubai are more centrally-located, bordering the older Bur Dubai neighbourhood.
Buying Apartments in Dubai Marina vs Downtown Dubai
Both Downtown Dubai and Dubai Marina have a large portfolio of apartments for sale, including ready and off-plan units. Those looking at apartments for sale in Downtown Dubai will be spoilt for choice, with apartment configurations ranging from studios to 5-bedroom units, as well as options for luxurious penthouses and duplexes.
The sheer number of apartment towers means that there are a variety of architectural styles and floor plans in Downtown Dubai. These Downtown Dubai apartments come with sweeping views of the city’s skyline and the Dubai Canal.
Similarly, the Dubai Marina community is also home to more than 200 residential towers. Dubai Marina apartments for sale also have layouts ranging between studios to 5-bedroom flats, along with upscale penthouses and duplexes. Buyers can choose between various floor plans in Dubai Marina for apartments, which have views of the man-made marina, the Arabian Gulf and the area’s skyline.
When comparing apartments in Dubai Marina vs Downtown Dubai, both communities offer units of similar sizes with 1-bedroom apartments ranging between 570 sq.ft to 1,200 sq.ft. However, the flats in Downtown Dubai tend to have larger layouts, although this largely depends on the building.
Downtown Dubai apartments also have a higher average sales price-per-square-foot of AED 1,830, due to its proximity to world-famous landmarks and an enviable central location. On the other hand, the average sales price-per-square-foot for flats in Dubai Marina stands at AED 1,252.
- The price to buy studio apartments in Downtown Dubai averages at AED 901k, while 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom flats have average sales prices of AED 1.54M and AED 2.61M respectively.
- Meanwhile, the average price to buy studios in Dubai Marina stands at AED 648k. The 1-bedroom flats for sale in Dubai Marina average at AED 1.06M while 2-bedroom flats average at AED 1.7M.
- On the other hand, Dubai Marina apartments offer investors a higher average ROI of 6.5%, while flats in Downtown Dubai yield average rental returns of 5.4%.
Buying Villas in Downtown Dubai vs Dubai Marina
For those who want larger homes, these luxurious communities also offer a limited, exclusive collection of podium villas. There is a larger availability of these spacious villas for sale in Dubai Marina, ranging from 3 to 5-bedroom units.
On the other hand, the villas in Downtown Dubai have a very limited availability.
- The prices to buy Dubai Marina villas start from AED 2M for 3-bedroom homes, AED 5.1M for 4-bedroom villas and AED 6M for 5-bedroom units, as per current listings.
- On the other hand, the 4-bedroom villas in Downtown Dubai start from AED 7.2M, according to current listings on Bayut.
Downtown Dubai vs Dubai Marina: Where Should You Rent Property?
These two neighbourhoods also rank amongst the top areas to rent apartments in Dubai in H1 2020, thanks to their proximity to amenities and attractions, ideal location and upscale lifestyle. If you are wondering, ‘should I live in Dubai Marina or Downtown Dubai?’ take a look at our comparison of rental prices and popular sub-communities.
Renting apartments in Dubai Marina vs Downtown Dubai
Prospective tenants can expect a similar choice of apartments in both Downtown or Dubai Marina. The apartments for rent in both of these areas range from cosy studio flats to grand 5-bedroom penthouses. For rental apartments in Dubai Marina, the most popular buildings are Marina Diamonds, Studio One Tower and Manchester Tower. In Downtown Dubai, Burj Khalifa, Burj Al Nujoom and The Address Residence Fountain Views draw the most interest from tenants.
Similar to the apartments for sale, rental units in Downtown Dubai also have a higher average price as compared to Dubai Marina.
- The average prices to rent flats in Dubai Marina stand at AED 48k for studio apartments, AED 72k for 1-bedroom apartments and AED 106k for 2-bedroom apartments.
- Downtown Dubai apartments for rent will cost around AED 53k for studio flats, AED 81k for 1-bedroom apartments and AED 123k for 2-bedroom units.
Villas for rent in Downtown Dubai vs Dubai Marina
Prospective tenants who want the spaciousness of a villa combined with the convenience of apartment living should consider the podium villas available in these high-end neighbourhoods. As with villas for sale, there is a bigger portfolio of rental villas in Dubai Marina, with available layouts ranging from 2-bedroom to 5-bedroom homes. Meanwhile, Downtown Dubai villas for rent also has 3 and 4-bedroom configurations, although there are smaller units available, too.
- The prices to rent 3-bedroom villas in Dubai Marina start from AED 120k, while 4-bedroom and 5-bedroom villas have starting prices of AED 155k and AED 350k respectively.
- Tenants can expect to pay a starting price of AED 160k for 3-bedroom villas for rent in Downtown Dubai, while 4-bedroom units are significantly more expensive, starting from AED 250k, as per current listings.
Living in Dubai Marina vs Living in Downtown Dubai
Deciding whether to live in Dubai Marina or Downtown Dubai? Before buying or renting properties in either of these areas, it’s best to know more about the lifestyle these neighbourhoods offer and if it suits your requirements.
- Life in Dubai Marina means residing in a family-friendly waterfront community, with easy access to the beach and a man-made marina. Meanwhile, those living in Downtown Dubai are at the heart of the action, as the area is home to the impressive landmarks and upscale hotels.
- There are several nurseries, clinics and supermarkets dotted throughout both of these neighbourhoods, thus ensuring a convenient and comfortable lifestyle for residents. Most apartment towers also have state-of-the-art amenities such as a gym and swimming pool.
- Those who enjoy watersports will love life in Dubai Marina, which is a stone’s throw away from the beach. Other thrilling outdoor activities in Dubai Marina include skydiving, cycling and zip-lining! On the other hand, Downtown Dubai boasts a pet-friendly park, known as the Burj Park, which is ideal for those with furry friends.
- Those living in the properties in Dubai Marina will face no shortage of shopping and entertainment opportunities! The are plenty of well-known retail outlets in Dubai Marina Mall, as well as a cinema. Meanwhile, the surrounding area is known for its upscale restaurants and clubs.
- However, Downtown Dubai edges out Dubai Marina when it comes to leisure attractions and activities. Thanks to the sprawling Dubai Mall, residents of the area have access to flagship stores, drive-in cinemas, musical fountains, ice rinks and more! The nearby Mohammed Bin Rashid Boulevard is also home to some of the city’s most exclusive restaurants, and the Dubai Opera is perfect for culture vultures.
- For those who rely on public transport, Downtown Dubai has its own metro station and a few public bus stops. On the other hand, Dubai Marina is serviced by the public bus, Dubai Tram and the Dubai Metro, making it easy for residents to get around without a car.
What to expect from these areas
While both of these areas are established communities, there are still many exciting developments to look forward to! Downtown Dubai has several upcoming residential projects, including popular off-plan apartment towers such as Opera Grand, Downtown Views II and IL Primo. Downtown Dubai is also expected to see certain luxury hotels open their doors in the coming years, adding to the dining and entertainment opportunities for residents.
Similarly, Dubai Marina is also home to some highly anticipated off-plan projects, including Vida Residences and 5242 Towers. Moreover, residents of properties in Dubai Marina can enjoy the attractions of the nearby Bluewaters Island, such as upscale resorts, celebrity chef restaurants and the upcoming Ain Dubai! Dubai Marina is also a short distance from the upcoming Dubai Harbour by Meraas, which is set to be Dubai’s most advanced marina and cruise terminal, and will be an unparalleled waterfront destination.
That concludes our comparison of Downtown vs Dubai Marina. We hope this guide will help you make an informed choice when buying or renting in these areas.
If you would like an in-depth look at the pros and cons of these neighbourhoods, take a look at our guides to living in Dubai Marina and life in Downtown Dubai. Investors can also learn more about the top buildings to buy apartments in Downtown Dubai, and the popular towers for buying flats in Dubai Marina.
Do you prefer living in Downtown or Dubai Marina? Let us know in the comments below!