- Evaluate your Space
- Laws for hosting a BBQ on your Terrace
- Choose the Right BBQ Grill
- Necessary Precautions
Thinking about turning your terrace into a family recreational spot? Try a terrace BBQ set-up to enjoy evening get-togethers with friends and family. A live BBQ area will breathe new life into your parties so let’s look into what you’ll need to get started.
If you live in a rental apartment in Dubai with a large balcony or private terrace this option is ideal. Alternatively, if your rental house in Dubai has a terrace or outdoor patio, you could do the same there as well.
To turn your terrace into a live BBQ space, you will need to take care of a few things. Here is a comprehensive guide for interested readers.
Evaluate your Space
Know that not every terrace can be turned into a barbecue area because of safety reasons. Here is what you have to consider before you decide to transform your terrace:
- The terrace should not be made of combustible material such as wood, flammable plastic etc.
- For wooden flooring, you need to ensure that the surface does not come in contact with heat. Using a stand with the BBQ station resolves this issue to some extent.
- Make sure the terrace has space for the set-up. A congested area can cause the fire to blow up and cause accidents.
- Don’t hang curtains in a close range to the grills.
- For those living in apartments, the grilling station should not be close to the balconies of the neighbouring apartments.
- There should not be any electric wirings or gas pipelines near the area where you set your grills.
Check the ruling for terrace BBQ and ask for permission if needed
Many countries in the world do not permit BBQ at terraces because even a bit of negligence can cause a fire. So before starting your terrace BBQ project, make sure your emirate allows BBQ set-ups in the terraces. Other than the state ruling, the building and community management also has to approve your terrace BBQ.
Choose the right BBQ grill
There are various types of BBQ grills that can be used in your terrace. You can pick either a gas grill, an electric grill or a charcoal grill. While some prefer charcoal grill for the signature aroma that it lends to the BBQ, most people find electric and gas alternatives more convenient and safe. For terrace BBQ areas, safety is a major concern hence electric grills are a better option.
Also, look into different compact grill designs available in the market to save space and make things hassle-free. You can select from a variety of sizes and designs to suit your terrace area and other preferences. Moreover, grills with stands are better for terraces as stands are easier to move around and they also protect the floor.
You can also choose from a grill collection that can be mounted to the wall. For wall-mounted BBQ grills, look up a proper way to fix the grill to the wall. It is advised to take professional help to fix the mount to avoid any accidents.
Here are a few things that you should take care of while working on your terrace BBQ arrangement:
- Make sure the grill is placed at a distance to avoid any accidents.
- Place a fire extinguisher in your terrace for emergencies.
- Protect your eyes and hands from the heat and smoke while grilling.
- Place equipment in a way that the smoke blows away to maintain proper ventilation.
- Do not keep anything flammable close to the fire.
- In apartments, pay extra attention to the safety measures and look out for the neighbouring balconies/terraces.
Pay attention to the detail and implement all the safety measures properly. Do not leave any loopholes or risk factors anywhere as it is a matter of your safety.
Make your BBQ area cosy
Add some sofas and chairs to provide a comfortable environment. You can also add things like flowers, plants and fairy lights to accentuate the space further.
Install a sink
Installing a sink at a corner in your terrace adds value to the whole experience by making your surroundings cleaner and well-managed. It will make it easier for you to wash hands and maintain hygiene.
If you think live terrace BBQ is not your thing, you can find different other ideas to create a personalized balcony. Those who love live BBQs but cannot arrange it at home can go to public BBQ spaces in Dubai. Other emirates also have parks and outdoor public spaces that facilitate visitors with BBQ set-ups. For instance, there are many outdoor picnics and BBQ spots in Abu Dhabi as well.
Have you set up a BBQ on your terrace? Share your experience with us in the comments section below!