While owning a car is seen as essential by many Dubai denizens, some might also need one temporarily. This is where the car sharing services in Dubai can come in really useful. They offer cost-effective packages and usually for a lot lesser than a regular car rental. Let’s take a look.
Popular Car Sharing Services in Dubai
Car-sharing services work on a pay-by-the-minute model compared to regular Dubai rent-a-car businesses, where the minimum leasing duration can be a month. Let’s look at some of the best car-sharing services in Dubai.
First up on our list of notable car-sharing services in Dubai is RTA’s Ekar. The company is a pioneer in car share services in the UAE and the Middle East. The user-friendly app provides on-demand access to more than 1000 pay-per-minute vehicles. Customers can use the service via a mobile car-sharing app in Dubai. Here is a rundown of the process:
Using RTA Ekar in Dubai is easy. All you need to do is:
- Download the app from Google Play or App Store.
- Register with a valid UAE driver’s license, passport details or Emirates ID.
- After registration, it’s just a matter of booking the nearest Ekar in the vicinity.
You can bookEkar on a pay-per-minute (up to 5 hours), daily, monthly or weekly basis.
Once the vehicle has been located through the app, the way to unlock the vehicle is by scanning the QR code placed on the driver or passenger window. The Ekar key is conveniently placed inside the glove compartment or cupholders. Users need to place the key back into the Ekar portal and return it to the glove box after the drive has ended. You can enter the parking details through the app.
The Ekar prices start from AED 1.04 per minute or AED 275 per day for a Hyundai Accent Sedan. Please note that you might incur additional charges during your booking. Refer to the official website for details under the FEEs tab in the FAQs section.
- Contact: 600-567-564
Next up on our recommendations for the best car sharing services in Dubai is Udrive. It is an excellent option for cheap rent-a-car in Dubai and other emirates in the UAE.
Working on a self-driving or pay-as-you-drive model, the service’s fleet includes the newest models from leading automobile makers like the Toyota Yaris, Nissan Tiida, Ford EcoSport, Chevrolet Spark and more. Here is how users can use the Udrive app to book their desired Udrive cars:
- To register as a user, simply sign up on the Udrive app available on both App Store and Google Play
- Input all of the required documents and information — for example, your Emirates ID or valid driving license.
- After providing the necessary information, Udrive verifies your data.
- Customers can even ask for quick activation if needed. Once done, the service sends the customer an activation email and their PIN number.
The Udrive app can be used to locate and unlock the service’s vehicles. Once your designated vehicle is unlocked, enter the pin on the device placed on the car’s dashboard. This will activate the car.
The device also holds the car keys. Once activated, users can drive their Udrive vehicles and return them at any location within the same city or the area where they started their trip.
Customers using Udrive services only have to pay for how long they are actually using their vehicles.
Available only as daily rentals, this package includes the Nissan Micra, Nisan Sunny, Toyota Yaris Sedan, Ford Focus, Mercedes Benz A-Class and more.
The Udrive prices start from AED 0.99 per minute or AED 179 per day for a Chevrolet Aveo Sedan. We recommend visiting the Udrive website for a full list of administrative charges and penalty fees.
- Location: Concord Tower, King Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud Street – Dubai
- Contact: 800-837-483
Another popular option for the best car sharing services in Dubai is FriendyCar. Unlike other services mentioned, FriendyCar offers car owners to borrow their vehicles. Customers here are categorized into car owners and borrowers — where owners can outsource their vehicles while earning an income based on the borrowing price they set.
For Car Owners
Car owners interested in registering their vehicles on FriendyCar have to follow this process:
- Sign up on the FriendyCar app via the email address or a Facebook account. You will get an activation email, after which users can list vehicles to be rented out
- You will need to upload images of your vehicle along with documents like a copy of your driver’s license, ID, and car insurance policy
- Car owners can list any cars, provided they are in good working order. Additionally, car owners are also allowed to serve as drivers, a plus for passengers who don’t know their way around Dubai or own a valid driving license.
- Payment is processed to the owner’s bank account 45 days after their passengers confirm the settlement.
The sign-up process for borrowers is almost the same as for car owners — upload the required documents, wait for the team to verify your borrower account, and you are good to go.
Once access is provided, use the FriendyCar app or website to enter the date and time of when you will require a vehicle, choose from available cars, wait for your “Friendy” owner to approve your request, meet your “Friendy” owner and pick up the keys.
For more information like FriendyCar’s terms of service, visit the website.
- Location: Building 16, Dubai Internet City
- Contact: +971-58-500-2365 (for car rentals/share) | +971-58-500-2364 (for car owners)
Also an online and mobile app-based car rental service, EZhire offers vehicles for rent weekly and monthly. Like UDrive, this service also has an in-house fleet with various brands of cars.
And while it doesn’t offer an hourly rental option, it still earns props for being a convenient service for commuters in a pinch.
Cars from EZHire can be booked on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, with rates depending on the type of vehicle chosen.
- Location: 3001-3002, Cluster W, Liwa Heights, Jumeirah Lakes Tower
- Contact: +971-4-215-6777
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do Car Sharing Services Work?
A form of Dubai rent-a-car service, car sharing can be accessed via mobile apps and is ideal for customers who only require occasional vehicle use. There are residents who might require a car temporarily before they purchase and register their own vehicle. Car sharing is an easy and affordable option for them.
How does car sharing differ when opting for different provides
Yes, car sharing is slightly different from renting a car. The service differs from traditional car rental in the following ways:
- Pickup, reservation and return are based on a self-service model
- Vehicles can be rented by the minute, hour or by the day
- Services are not limited to business hours
- Vehicles available for hire are scattered throughout designated service areas
- Rates can be inclusive or exclusive of fuel costs
That’s all for our review of Dubai car-sharing services. Need to apply for a valid UAE driver’s license before you can use car hire companies in Dubai? Makes sure you have all the information and paperwork needed to get a driving license in Dubai.
Also, make sure that you are aware of current traffic laws in Dubai if you plan on borrowing a car here. There are several local and international rent-a-car services in Dubai if you prefer to get a rental vehicle. Visitors can also make the most of the public transport apps in Dubai to get around with ease.