Picture this. You’ve had a yet another long day in the office, answering emails, attending meetings…the usual. Wouldn’t it be nice to come home and feel…relaxed? To actually feel healthier just by being? Of course, it would!
That’s why we’ve scoured the streets and separated fact from fiction, to bring you a list of things that will actually keep you healthy, with pretty minimal effort!
Even though you may not have a green thumb, there are several relatively low maintenance plants that you can grow in Dubai that cleanse the air. In fact, NASA calls plants ‘nature’s air purifiers’!
Our favourites have to be:
– The Snake Plant: Apart from growing well in low light (perfect for that slightly dim corner in your home) and purifying the air, Snake plants also absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen at night. This means that it’s great to keep in your bedroom, for a little extra O2 while you snooze.
– The Peace Lily: Worried about your bathroom being too damp? Install a pretty Peace Lily on the counter, because these lovely plants remove mold from the air.
– The Spider Plant: A slightly ‘retro’ option, the Spider plant removes formaldehyde from the air making it a winner. Where is formaldehyde found? Just in several air fresheners, perfumes, cigarettes, hair products…
If you are wondering, where to buy them, consider any plant nursery in Dubai.
2. zero VOC Paint
You’re in the mood for some DIY, but did you know that several paints have VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) and can be toxic years after being applied? If you’re feeling concerned about this, we suggest heading to Marina Home in Dubai or SAS Express in Abu Dhabi and picking up some zero or low VOC paint by Benjamin Moore.
3. Paint Colours
While on the subject of paint, choosing the right colour will work wonders for your mood! Just be careful of the hue and where you use which colour though:
– Red: Energetic and stimulating, the colour red is perfect as an accent or feature wall colour for rooms where you want to be more active – the lounge, the dining room (the colour stimulates the appetite!) or in your entrance foyer to give visitors a strong first impression!
– Blue: Calming and soothing, blue works well in relaxing spaces like bedrooms.
– Grey: It may seem a bit boring at first, but greys work well in all sorts of different rooms and are not only calming (like blue) but also adds a touch of elegance to the space.
4. Zip Covers For Pillows And Cushions
Dubai is known for being an incredibly dusty city, so imagine ending each day by resting your head on a pillow full of grime? Fear not, it’s easy to fix that. All you need to do is buy a hypoallergenic, dust-proof, zip pillowcase and you’ll be breathing freer in no time.
5. Ionic Shower Filters
People tend to blame water in this country for pretty much every ailment out there…but that’s a myth. Well, for the most part. If you have particularly sensitive skin (or hair), buying an ionic shower filter should help. This nifty showerhead that fits most standard showers filters out impurities like chlorine that do dry your skin and hair. What’s more, there’s something about the water pressure that comes out of it that makes you feel like you’re having a shower in a fancy hotel!
6. Aromatic Showers
If you manage to find some fresh eucalyptus, hang some leaves in your shower. The steam will release all sorts of good-for-you essential oils from the eucalyptus, perfect to calm you down and relieve congestion.
7. Negative Ion Generators
The benefits of negative ions have long been documented, but where to get them from is a little trickier. The jury is still out on ultra-trendy Himalayan Salt lamps, although several users report that they do feel better if the lamp is kept close to them for several days. A safer bet would be to buy a certified negative ion generator.
Remember that shaggy throw your mum had? Or what about the lace doilies at your gran’s? Choosing a few key textural pieces that remind you of happy childhood times is an instant mood booster. The same goes with displaying photographs of your family, friends, even your pets!
Ok, this one does take more effort on your part. But really…that pile of takeaway menus on your front table? Find a recycling bin. The pile of laundry (freshly washed or otherwise), fold them and put it in your cupboard (or washing machine). The throw on your sofa that you’ve never ever folded…fold it. The pile of plates by the kitchen sink? Well…you get the picture. You don’t even have to do everything at once…choose a simple task a day and feel your mental health improve tenfold.
10. Have Friends Over
Those friends you’ve been meaning to have over for dinner? Call them. There’s been no shortage of studies showing that socialising boosts your mood, and in a city like Dubai, it’s nice to just relax at home for a change.
It’s easy to get lost in the fast pace of city life, but we hope these tips will help you build a haven in your very own home – a healthy, relaxing respite that you look forward to every day!