One of the leading waterfront communities in Abu Dhabi for apartments, Al Reem Island boasts luxurious amenities and ultramodern facilities. With numerous captivating attractions in Al Reem Island, it is the perfect residential property for families, expats and young professionals. If you want to explore in detail about the island, you can check out the Al Reem Island area guide. To know what you can do in this area, read on to find out more about the exciting things to do in Al Reem Island!
Things to do in Al Reem Island
From shopping and dining to visiting prominent universities, there are plenty of things to do in Al Reem Island. Let’s take a closer look to see what some of these interesting attractions are.
Dining in Al Reem Island
Shams Boutik Mall in Al Reem Island is home to numerous eateries including international fast food brands and traditional Emirati restaurants. Local residents will be spoilt for choice here. Visiting these eateries tops the list of things to do in Al Reem Island for most residents and visitors. Some of the best restaurants in Al Reem Island are enlisted here:
- Johnny Rockets is an international fast food restaurant, famous for its delicious burgers, fries and shakes. Residents can also opt for home delivery from this outlet by paying an additional sum.
- For health conscious people, Subway is a good option that features sandwiches and salads. Soulfull is another vegetarian option for those looking for an organic diet.
- People looking for new things to do in Al Reem Island can savour the delectable Japanese flavours at the neighbouring Al Maryah Island’s Zuma. Others include Tripoli Restaurant for Lebanese dishes and Beijing Restaurant for Chinese dishes.
- One can also find Hanoi Café and Restaurant for Vietnamese aroma in Boutik Mall’s food court.
- Other Al Reem Island restaurants for casual dining include Natural Kitchen, Smoking Doll, Nando’s, Popeyes and Broccoli Pizza & Pasta. Besides, there is also Shawarma Al Reem that specialises in traditional food.
- Cafes in Al Reem Island include Caffe Nero, Cafe Doppio, Pelae Dart Cafe, La Brioche and the world-famous Starbucks.
- Foodies can also head to Marina Square and grab a bite at 800 Pizzas, Burger Bureau and Mug & Bean cafe.
If you would like to explore the culinary landscape of the area better, take a look at some of the best restaurants in Al Reem Island.
Shopping in Al Reem Island
With a variety of retail options, shopping is one of the best things to do in Al Reem Island. Currently, the Boutik Mall in Al Reem Island is the go-to shopping destination. Located between Sun and Sky Tower, this shopping hub is a popular place for youngers to also hang out. In the coming few months, the brand new Al Reem Mall is also set to open up here.
The Shams Boutik Mall in Al Reem Island is one of the most popular places for residents of the area. You can head to Boutik Mall for a quick session of retail therapy and stock up on the latest fashions.
- Boutik Mall is also a kid-friendly place in Al Reem Island with a soft play area and arcade gaming for children.
- There is also a community pharmacy in Boutik Mall to fulfil the medication needs of residents.
- Waitrose is another attraction of Boutik Mall that appeals to expats. This British retailer also stocks organic food so you don’t need to worry if you follow a healthy diet.
- Apart from the restaurants and kids’ zone, there are gift shops, jewellery shops and a laundry service shop.
- The bowling alley in Boutik Mall is another great place to visit in Al Reem Island, especially if you are not a big fan of retail therapy.
- Art Central is another attraction for artistic minds in Boutik Mall where you can fuel your passion for art with premium art supplies and tools. It also features top-class art services and workshops where students and hobbyists can participate.
- Al Reem Flower Boutique in the mall is another place to fulfil your gardening interests.
- You will also find Al Batra Bookshop that has a selected collection of books, novels and storybooks for children.
- This Al Reem Island mall is in The Gate District but is accessible to the residents of Shams Abu Dhabi, City of Lights and Tamouh.
If this mall is not enough, the upscale Galleria Mall in Al Maryah Island is also easily accessible for residents of Al Reem Island.
Parks and other leisure attractions in Al Reem Island
While numerous recreational and leisure projects such as Reem Mall and Reem Central Park are in the pipeline, you can also enjoy and relax outdoors at parks and beaches.
- The wholesome family lifestyle at Al Reem Island features Reem Central Park where kids can skate, play and watch the dancing fountain.
- Residents can also enjoy Reem Weekend on the island that is a recurring community event. This two-day event features eclectic food trucks with a good selection of organic products.
- There are also exciting street performances to enjoy at this Al Reem Island attraction. The event is held alongside the water canal that draws the attention of all residents on the island.
- Vibe Fitness EMS is a fitness centre in Al Reem Island to keep you in shape.
Al Reem Island Attractions under construction
Apart from the existing list of things to do in Al Reem Island, several new attractions will also be opening up in the emerging area.
- The Reem Mall is in the pipeline and it will feature the world’s largest indoor snow park, a multiplex cinema and two food courts with 85 F&B outlets.
- As its a waterfront community, residents can enjoy the view of Shams Coast East. This Al Reem Island beach has a small mangrove forest but currently, it is inaccessible to the public because the beach is undergoing construction.
- Another attraction in the pipeline is Reem Central Park on the island. This massive park spans one-million sq. ft. and features retail shops, restaurants and a massive mosque.
- Other facilities include a skate park, a public beach and interactive water features. With this park, Al Reem Island would become one of the biggest tourist attractions in Abu Dhabi.
Attractions Near Al Reem Island
Al Maryah Island, which is a ten-minute drive from Al Reem Island is home to two of the most luxurious 5-star hotels, Four Seasons and Rosewood Abu Dhabi. Both hotels are upscale properties with views of the gulf, spas and deluxe suites. In Rosewood Abu Dhabi, there are fine dining options, a pool bar at the rooftop, a spa and other numerous facilities. The establishments are well connected through Zayed the First St.
The Galleria Mall
Although this shopping destination is not located within Al Reem Island, it’s just a short 10-minute drive away from the community. It is home to endless high-end retail stores for fashion, clothing and accessories. Located in Al Maryah Island, this mall is one of the best places to visit near Al Reem Island for a variety of leisure, dining and retail options.
- For branded clothing, there is DKNY, Diesel, Burberry, Dolce and Gabbana, Louis Vuitton, Lacoste, Dior and Tom Ford among others.
- In the list of fashion accessories, you will find Prada, Chaumet, Cartier, BVLGARI, Gucci, Hugo Boss, Michael Kors and Longines.
- If going out for fresco dining options is your thing, The Galleria Mall is an ideal option as this waterfront place features a range of delicious cuisines.
- The dining collection at The Galleria Mall features The Dining Gallery, Royal Orchid, 99 Sushi Bar, Bentley Kitchen and other fine dining options.
- Various coffee blends and desserts can be found at Costa, Café Milano, Godiva Chocolate Café, Gossip Café & Desserts and Magnolia Bakery.
- Annual events are also held on Al Maryah Island, such as Chinese New Year, Winter Wonderland and the National Day.
- Residents also get together on New Year’s Eve to enjoy the fireworks and indoor performances in Galleria Mall.
Living in Al Reem Island
As you can tell, this residential island has several state-of-the-art facilities, which means that life here is luxurious and comfortable. If you are planning to move to this island development, you could look at some of the best buildings to rent in Al Reem Island. And for more long term plans, you could consider some of the popular areas to invest in Al Reem Island.
Besides the recreational facilities, Al Reem Island is also home to several prestigious schools and nurseries including premium British school, Repton. The famous Cleveland Clinic is also a few minutes from the neighbourhood. In addition to this, the Paris Sorbonne University is located in Al Reem Island. For quick grocery runs, there are several reliable supermarkets in Al Reem Island. The proximity to these amenities has made Al Reem Island a consistent favourite with the city’s tenants and investors. If you want to live close to these amenities in this up and coming neighbourhood, take a look at some of the pros and cons of living in Al Reem Island.
Being an apartment community, Al Reem Island is known for its high-rise apartment complexes. For tenants looking to move here, the starting price for a rental studio in Al Reem Island is from AED 19k as per current listing on Bayut. If you plan on investing in a similar unit, prices for buying flats in Al Reem Island start from AED 400k.
Al Reem Island Directions
The island is located about 30 to 45 minutes away from Abu Dhabi International Airport. From Abu Dhabi Corniche, it is 20 minutes away via car. Those who want to visit from Dubai, it is approximately 2 hours away and from Yas Island, it is 30 minutes away via car. The destination is a 10-minute drive from Abu Dhabi mall via 10th St or Al Falah St.
Al Reem Island has access to public transport, including buses and taxis. A major hub for public transport is Boutik Mall where buses 7 and 63 operate for a fare as low as AED 2. The island can also be accessed through Hazza Bin Zayed St or Al Falah Street from Abu Dhabi. Apart from the community car parking, visitors can find also parking in the malls. There are also plenty of taxis plying the area, so getting around the neighbourhood is not a challenge.
And that’s a wrap on our guide for the best things to do in Al Reem Island. Stay tuned to MyBayut for more such interesting articles about living in the capital city!