Standing at an altitude of almost 2,000 meters, the Jebel Jais Mountain in Ras Al Khaimah (RAK) is the tallest peak in the UAE. This rocky mountain is a popular weekend destination for many residents and has a lot of activities for adventure buffs to try. Whether you’re a thrill-seeker or looking for some easygoing outdoor fun – a day at Jebel Jais Ras Al Khaimah might be just what you need.
ABOUT JEBEL JAIS MOUNTAIN, RAS AL KHAIMAH
Marked with deep canyons, barren cliffs, eroded landscapes and steep slopes, the Jebel Jais mountain provides the perfect natural setting for outdoor thrills. Capitalising on that and the Jebel Jais’ height of 1,934 meters, the mountain has been developed into an adventure zone that provides the ultimate mountain experience complete with a zipline, panoramic views of the mountains and much more.
JEBEL JAIS LOCATION
The Jebel Jais peak is located in the Hajar Mountains towards the northern side of Ras Al Khaimah.
To reach the Jebel Jais location you can use the following address: W4VR+FX Ras Al-Khaimah, Ras al Khaimah – United Arab Emirates for proper directions.
HOW TO GET FROM DUBAI TO JEBEL JAIS
- The best way to get from Dubai to Jebal Jais is by car. It’s approximately a two-hour drive via Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Road (E311) from Al Khail Road(D83).
ACTIVITIES IN JEBEL JAIS
Visiting Jebel Jais is one of the most popular things to do in RAK, especially when there is a long weekend coming up. If you plan to visit the mountain anytime soon, here is a list of activities the mountain has to offer.
SPECTACULAR VIEWS FROM THE VIEWING DECK PARK
Formed over 70 million years ago, the Jebel Jais mountain in RAK features the most scenic views in the region. The views of the winding road through the deep rocky canyon of the mountain is truly breathtaking and a unique sight to behold. The Jebal Jais Viewing Deck Park allows you to experience the magic and take some splendid shots of the surroundings.
The Viewing Deck Park at Jebel Jais has seven viewing decks with twelve binoculars that visitors can use to view the stunning valleys from an impressive height of 1,250 meters above sea level. After you’re done admiring the beauty of the mountain, you can grab some refreshments from the food trucks and fuel up for more fun. This entire park is lit by solar energy and features all the necessary facilities including restrooms and dedicated parking spaces.
- Timings: 08:00 am to 08:00 pm | Weekends 08:00 am to 11:00 pm
- Price: AED 5 for entry and tariff on parking is applicable (AED 5 for motorbikes, AED 20 for cars and AED 100 for buses or vans)
The next item on our list of things to do in Jebel Jais is for all the thrill-seekers looking to explore the mountains in a different way. At the Jebel Jais Via Ferrata you get to trek along a 1km long purpose-built climbing course that involves a combination of walking, climbing and zip-lining.
The entire experience lasts about four hours where you are accompanied by qualified guides throughout the course. Just remember to come dressed in the right attire – casual shoes such as Vans or Converse are not accepted; only sturdy trainers or running shoes with good grip are allowed.
- Participants should be between 12 and 65 years of age, between 40 and 120 kilos of weight
- Price: AED 341.25 | Weekends: AED 393.75
- Toroverde Contact: +971-50-265-6224
ZIPLINING ACROSS THE JEBAL JAIS VALLEYS
Ziplining across the canyons of this marvellous mountain is by far one of the best activities in Jebel Jais. You get to literally fly across the mountain at speeds of up to 150kmph over a distance 2.8km, which is equivalent to 28 football pitches!
The Jebel Jais zipline or Jebel Jais Flight as it is officially known, has been certified by Guinness World Records as the world’s longest zip line and is a quintessential activity if you are an adrenaline junkie looking for a thrilling adventure.
Pro Tip: You’ll be able to find Jebel Jais zipline offers and price discounts during Eid and the summertime, so keep an eye out for them.
- Jebel Jais Zipline Price: AED 425 – AED 525
- Toroverde Contact: +971-50-265-6224
ICE SKATING AT THE JEBAL JAIS ICE RINK
Ever seen an ice-rink in the middle of a mountain? Well, now you can! Toroverde, which is responsible for all the attractions on Jebel Jais also operates an ice rink to this iconic adventure zone. If you’ve ever dreamt of ice skating 1300 meters above sea level, the Jebel Jais skating rink is where you should be! It is open to adults and children above the age of 3.
- Timings: Wednesday to Sunday from 10:00 am to 05:00 pm
- Price: AED 45 for 30 minutes skating including skate rental.
- Toroverde Contact: +971-50-265-6224
BARBECUE AND CAMPING
Jebel Jais is also one the best camping spots in the UAE. There are several areas along the route of the mountain that are great for pitching a tent and setting up a barbecue. Many campers stay the night just to catch a glimpse of the rising sun over the rocky mountain. If you plan on going camping at Jebel Jais, make sure to carry enough blankets and sweaters to keep you warm, as well as enough coal and firewood to light a bonfire. Just keep in mind that bonfires should be made in fire pits and barbecues must be done on a grill.
THE JAIS ADVENTURE PEAK
Jais Adventure Peak is a one-of-a-kind adventure park located on Jebel Jais Ras Al Khaimah. This park has a suspended obstacle course and more ziplines for you to enjoy.
The Jais Sky Maze is suspended 10 metres above the ground creating an obstacle course with wobbly bridges, rope swings and swinging loops. Jais Sky Tour on the other hand is a network of seven ziplines and nine platforms that give you an aerial tour of the mountain.
- Timings: Wednesday to Sunday 10:00 am to 06:00 pm (Sky Tour) | 09:30 am to 05:30 pm (Sky Maze)
- Price: AED 200 for 1 hour (Sky Tour) | AED 75 for 1 hour (Sky Maze)
Things to keep in mind when visiting Jebel Jais
- The drive from Dubai to the Jebel Jais mountain in RAK takes approximately two hours. So make sure to fuel up and carry snacks and drinks along for the road.
- Jebel Jais is also a popular spot that attracts a lot of visitors during holidays such as Eid and UAE National Day. If you are looking to skip the crowds, try visiting the mountain during off-peak times.
- The Jebel Jais weather is 10 degrees colder than the normal ground temperature. It gets significantly cold while driving up to the mountain, especially in the evenings during winter months. So make sure to carry something to keep yourself warm.
- The weather during the day is pleasant with the warmth of the sun shining through. Carrying a light sweater is advised in case of sudden cold winds.
- There is no Jebel Jais entry fee applicable for visiting the mountain. However, you do need to pay for all the activities available at this adventure zone.
- Closed shoes/sports shoes are the ideal footwear when visiting the Jais Mountain in RAK. They are also pre-requisites if you are going trekking or on the zip line.
- Facilities such as parking spots, restaurants and washrooms are present at the viewing deck, zip line and Via Ferrata.
- If you plan to barbecue or go camping at Jebal Jais make sure to carry all the necessary equipment like coal and lighter fluid as you won’t find supermarkets there.
- Toroverde Ras Al Khaimah is the company that manages the zip line, Via Ferrata and the ice rink. If you have made a booking for any of their attractions in Jebel Al Jais, just head to their dedicated parking lot 30 minutes prior to your session. From there, shuttle buses will take you to the right location.
- All the above-mentioned activities in Jebel Jais can be booked online via the official Jebel Jais website. You can also find more information on each of the attractions here.
And that wraps up our guide on Jebal Jais Ras Al Khaimah! What’s your favourite activity on this list? Let us know in the comments below.
There is no shortage of outdoor adventures in the UAE. Within Ras Al Khaimah, thrill-seekers can also find plenty of adventure at Wadi Bih. A page out of the wilderness, Wadi Bih offers hiking trails and camping spots, other than the opportunity of wildlife encounters.
The Fujairah Adventure Park is another great place for outdoor activities, with a combination of mountain adventures, street fun and water activities.
If you’re looking for more things to do with friends and family near Dubai, you can go camping in Hatta. Besides camping, there are a bunch of other things to do in Hatta that are perfect for a long weekend.