Returning for the 10th edition, the Sharjah Light Festival 2020 has arrived with a spectacular line up of shows and fun activities for all. This year’s festival is expected to be bigger and better than ever and we’re going to tell you all about it. Keep reading to discover what the Sharjah Light Festival 2020 has in store for its visitors this year.
ABOUT SHARJAH LIGHT FESTIVAL
Initiated in 2010, the Sharjah Light Festival (SLF) is an annual arts festival, that features a series of light shows across the emirate. It is organised annually by the Sharjah Commerce and Tourism Development Authority, under the patronage of H.H. Dr. Sheikh Sultan bin Muhammed Al Qasimi, Member of the Supreme Council and Ruler of Sharjah.
The main aim of this lights festival in Sharjah is to showcase the emirate’s inspiring history, rich heritage and architectural achievements. This is done by illuminating the emirate’s most prominent landmarks with a kaleidoscope of colourful lights and sounds, each telling a unique story.
SHARJAH LIGHT FESTIVAL 2020 AT A GLANCE
- Sharjah Light Festival 2020 dates: 5 – 15 February 2020
- Sharjah Light Festival timings: 06:00 pm – 11:00 pm on weekdays and 06:00 pm – 12:00 am on weekends
- Sharjah Light Festival locations: Al Majaz Waterfront, Al Qasba, American University of Sharjah (AUS), Al Noor Mosque and 15 other locations.
- Sharjah Light Festival fireworks: Daily at the Al Majaz Waterfront after the 09:00 pm show, over the Khalid Lagoon.
SHARJAH LIGHT FESTIVAL SHOWS
This year, the Sharjah Light Festival celebrates a decade of creativity and excellence. To mark the occasion, the festival has partnered with two of the top universities in Sharjah – American University of Sharjah (AUS) and the University of Sharjah (UOS). They will each host their own light shows which will be projected on the main buildings of both universities. There will also be impressive presentations from international and local artists, musicians and light technicians at this year’s festival.
If you want to catch these amazing light shows in Sharjah, here’s the complete schedule for the Sharjah Light Festival 2020.
SHARJAH LIGHT FESTIVAL 2020 SCHEDULE
All Sharjah Light Festival shows will take place from 06:00 pm – 11:00 pm on weekdays and 06:00 pm – 12:00 am on weekends until 15 February. The following are listed by location along with the name of the show.
- University City Hall – Planet Sharjah
- American University of Sharjah – A Journey from Sharjah to America
- Sharjah Police Academy – Jungle Book
- University of Sharjah – A Student’s Day in Sharjah
- Masjid Sheikh Rashid Bin Ahmed Al Qasimi (Dibba Al Hisn) – Arabic Fusion
- House of Justice (Khorfakkan) – Paradoptical
- University of Sharjah (Kalba) – Forever Young
- Sharjah Mosque – Light Celebration
- Al Wousta TV Building (Al Dhaid) – A Light Guide
- Sharjah Municipality Building – Glorious Sharjah
- Al Hamriya Area Municipality – Travelling Across Time
- Sharjah Chamber of Commerce and Industry – Light & Painting Emotions
- Sharjah Roads & Transport Authority – An Endless Journey
- Omran Taryam Square -The Snowdome
- Al Majaz Waterfront – Resonance & Kontak
- Al Qasba (External Facade) – The Return of the Little Giant
- Masjid Al Noor – A Cosmic Trip
- Al Majaz Waterfront & Khalid Lagoon – Waves of Light
- Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport – Maritime Heritage
Each of the light shows mentioned above shares a unique story. The ones at Al Majaz Waterfront and University City Hall are interactive shows that feature a blend of video mapping technologies and augmented virtual reality, creating an illusion of travelling around the world.
For the history buffs who want to learn about Sharjah’s culture and history, the shows at Sharjah Municipality Building, House of Justice in Khorfakkan, Masjid Sheikh Rashid Bin Ahmed Al Qasimi in Dibba Al Hisn are perfect.
The Sharjah Light Festival is more than just a light show. It’s a cultural fiesta aimed at bringing people together. Along with shows, there is a dedicated Food Truck Zone with over 30 restaurants serving local and international cuisines. So once you are done enjoying the shows, don’t forget to make a trip to the Food Truck Zone, located opposite University City Hall. You can take your pick from authentic Emirati food, Middle Eastern dishes, burgers or any other international cuisines.
Is there an entry fee to the Sharjah Light Festival?
No, all light shows are free to attend and open to all ages.
What’s the best way to see all the light shows?
City Sightseeing Sharjah has set up an exclusive bus route for all visitors to get the best viewing experience. You can call on +971-6-556-0777 today to book a bus tour for the festival.
What time are the fireworks?
The Sharjah Light Festival fireworks happen daily over the Khalid Lagoon at the Al Majaz Waterfront, after the 09:00 pm show.
That completes this guide on the Sharjah Light Festival 2020. If you manage to capture some amazing shots of the shows, make sure to upload them on Instagram with the Sharjah Light Festival hashtags: #SharjahLightFestival and #Sharjahlf.
Sharjah is known as the cultural capital of the UAE. The emirate has many attractions to explore in the city. Here is the ultimate list of places to visit in Sharjah, that guarantee a fun day out with friends and family.
*Cover Image Credits: SLF’s official website