Did you know that the Majlis is a centuries-old tradition in the UAE and other Arab nations? Roughly translating to ‘a place to sit’, the Majlis is where members of the community would gather to discuss issues among themselves and meet with the Sheikhs. But Majlis also refers to a private sitting area in the home, which is designed to receive and host guests. Over the years, the architecture and style of a majlis has evolved, but the basic Majlis design ideas still remain simple and down-to-earth, reflecting the local culture.
Today, MyBayut has come up with tips to create a Majlis at home so you can entertain your guests in traditional Arab style.
Tips for Majlis Design Ideas and Decor
Traditional Arab culture places emphasis on being welcoming and cordial, where guests are placed in high importance. If you want to offer your guests the same experience, here are a few Majlis design ideas that will help you create a typical Majlis at home.
Keep a balance with the size of your majlis
Typically, the largest room in an Arab house will be the Majlis, which is also regarded as the event hall. It is the room where guests are welcomed and entertained and discussions take place.
- Many people think a Majlis should be very big, but it should also be a comfortable and cosy space.
- Don’t leave empty spaces between the Majlis sofas, so that people aren’t seated too far from each other.
- If possible, place a table at an arm’s length, which makes it easier to serve food to guests.
- Ensure there is enough space around the table for people to move comfortably.
Make it a place for people to connect with each other
A Majlis is a space where people gather and connect with each other. In modern times, many people have a TV or other screen in their Majlis at home, which disrupt the conversation and interaction. Here are some Majlis design ideas to make sure this space in your home is where people enjoy themselves and conversation flows.
- Never place a screen or a TV in an Arabic Majlis where you intend to socially connect with people.
- If you want to have such a device in your Majlis, it’s best to have a portable one.
- Ensure that the TV screen is not the focus of the Majlis.
- Make sure that any portable devices in a room serve a temporary purpose.
Add a Touch of Traditional Elegance
Elegance in a Majlis at home is not achieved only with materials like silk embroidery and gold beads. Hospitality is key when it comes to the elegance of a modern Majlis.
- A Majlis should offer a welcome and comfortable ambience, where your guests feel relaxed enough to take off their shoes.
- Opt for luxurious Arabian Majlis sofas with a backrest and armrest, where guests can sit comfortably.
- Lush carpets and small tables to serve drinks and snack items also add to the elegance in a Majlis.
- Even an Arabic Majlis floor seating won’t compromise the comfort if it’s made inviting with rich carpets.
- Elegance does not come from indulging in luxury. Instead, it should reflect a mix of the latest interior trends and Eastern style interior design to include warm colours, a grand ambience and cultural aspects in your Majlis.
- Traditional and classical elements, geometric patterns and warm colours are also essential features of Arabic Majlis interior design.
- If you can afford it, you can buy Arabic Majlis furniture to ensure a welcoming ambience in a Majlis.
Decorate for a Warm Ambience
If you want to improve any Arabic Majlis interior design, keep in mind that people are the focal point of the Majlis. So make sure that furniture and Majlis home décor complement the versatility of the area.
- Stick with warm and neutral colours while selecting the furniture and decoration for Majlis.
- If you are selecting Majlis sofa sets, look for rich fabrics and natural materials.
- Make sure the lighting is bright enough so that people can see each other across the room.
- You can also mount library shelves to display a collection of books, which also is one of the popular wall décor ideas.
- Handcrafted decorations including the cushions and wall décor can also increase the ambience.
- Make sure to include the latest Majlis designs and traditional Arabic decorations to create a welcoming ambience of a Majlis.
- An important tip for Majlis design ideas is to add some indoor plants as they also add a pop of colour and a natural element to the space.
Maintain the Privacy of a Majlis
The Arabic traditions of Majlis value the privacy of the space, where the Majlis is kept separate from the house. If you can’t do so, here are some tips to maintain the privacy of Majlis, while still being in the heart of your home.
- In case there is no individual room available, make sure the entrance is separate for Majlis.
- Add a rug or doormat at the entrance of a Majlis to mark it as a separate area.
- A chic cupboard can be kept beside the room entrance, where guests can keep shoes.
- Make sure that the washing area or a bathroom is close to the Majlis. Guests should be able to perform ablution while maintaining the privacy of the members of the house.
That’s all for the guide to creating a Majlis at home. Remember, for a modern Arabic Majlis design, it’s key to include comfortable seating, traditional elements such as wall decor and adequate privacy!
Looking for more home décor inspiration? There are a number of affordable ways to make your home look luxurious. Those with a minimalist lifestyle can also opt for minimalist home tips. You can also subscribe to our newsletter for all the latest updates on how to spice up your home decor with the latest trends.