Knowing how to pack for a move into a new house is not in everyone’s DNA. Most people end up pulling a last-minute magic show even though they’ve started packing on time (or, they thought they did). With Bayut’s checklist, you will find the whole packing process swift and stress-free. So, here are ten tips on how to pack for a move as if you’ve got Martha Stewart in your family tree.
1. DECLUTTER, DECLUTTER, DECLUTTER
Do you really need to bring that strange diet cookbook with a giant chocolate cake on the cover that you’re never going to use? We suggest placing it on the side, alongside everything else you’ll never need.
2. FIND YOUR INNER E-COMMERCE SALESMAN/SANTA
Sell as many clothes, books and other unwanted items by hosting a yard sale or using an e-commerce website. Or else, give them to charity or friends. If you’re leaving Dubai and you don’t want to throw away your extensive spice collection, give it to a colleague.
3. keep it green. SERIOUSLY…
When you’re decluttering and throwing away old paper and other recyclable items, do make sure to do it in an environmentally friendly (green) way! Many communities in Dubai have their own recycling spot – find out where is the nearest one to you.
4. GET MOVING ON THOSE MOVING SUPPLIES
Moving boxes, bubble wrap etc. can all be ordered online on Ace hardware store, or theboxme.com. But, if you ask around at the shops in your neighbourhood, you might procure a few boxes without having to pay AED 10 a pop.
5. PAINTINGS & SCULPTURES FIRST
Trust us, you do not want to risk moving a piece of art just before the moving truck parks outside… The same goes for mirrors, silverware, sports trophies, and everything else under the label FRAGILE.
6. ONE ROOM AT A TIME SO THINGS DON’T INTERTWINE
Yes, it’s a cheesy rhyme, but do pack up your apartment or villa one room at a time to avoid chaos. Save the kitchen and the bedroom for last, unless you particularly like sleeping on the floor or foraging boxes for food and cutlery.
7. GOOD OLD-FASHIONED LABELLING
Even if it’s a small box containing a bedside lamp, labelling this side of it with ‘BEDISDE LAMP – FRAGILE’ will take but 5 seconds, yet make all the difference.
Use a different marker or packing tape for each of the rooms. If you label the kitchen with, say, a black marker and the living room with red, you’ll be able to move the boxes to the right room of your new place of residence without having to read a single label.
8. prepare A MOVING DAY KIT
People in general – especially families – rarely manage to unpack in a single day. So, do remember to prepare a separate bag containing your bathroom kit, change of clothes and cleaning supplies, AKA the moving day kit.
9. HAVING A HARD TIME? CALL A MOVING COMPANY
If you’re finding it hard and your budget allows you, ring up one of the following moving companies: e-movers, Mexico movers, Santa Fe Relocation, Easy Truck, Desert Movers or Pickfords.
Note: Don’t worry, while there are a few unreliable moving companies in Dubai, these were all recommended to us by a broker from a leading agency who’s dealt with pretty much all of them at one point or another throughout his thirteen-year career.
10. TREAT YOUR MOVERS
Even if you’ve hired a moving company, having a jug of cold lemonade ready for everyone to freshen up is the only right way to start your life in the new villa or apartment.
And that concludes our 10-point checklist on how to how to pack for a move into a new house. For those who want to fully master the art of packing, we’ve included a few extra tips below! Because you can move into a new house as efficiently as Martha Stewart.
- Notify your new neighbours about the date and time of your big move into a new house in advance. That way, they’ll be able to avoid any potential noise or clutter, and you can start off the neighbourly relationship on the right foot.
- Book the delivery of any new furniture you’re getting for the day AFTER the move. Otherwise, you’ll risk having too many people helping you move in at the same time; not to mention a massive amount of furniture to deal with at once.
- If you are using a moving company, make an inventory sheet of all the boxes you have. That way you’ll immediately know if the movers have misplaced something.
- If you put all the living room boxes in the moving truck first, followed by the kitchen, bedroom, and so forth, you can be taking them out in the same orderly fashion too.