Metallic decor has ruled the world of interior design for a long time now and it’s not going anywhere. This time its all about gold home decor. While copper and rose gold decor remain favourites for most people, the daring ones are going bold and shimmery with gold finishes.
But decorating with gold accents can be tricky – you never know what qualifies as too much or too less. The trick behind getting your gold decor right is achieving the right balance, and this post will tell you just that.
Smart Gold Home Decor Ideas
Let us first look at all the ways you can decorate with gold finishes, without overdoing it. The biggest mistake people make when creating gold accent rooms is not thinking about their collective interior design through. You can’t and shouldn’t have gold home decor everywhere you look in your home. Here are some smart ways to ensure you get decorating with gold accents right.
Work the Walls
Gold wall decor never gets old. Plus the idea is so flexible that you can make it work anywhere in your furnished rental apartment in Dubai. Here’s what you can do:
- Get a gold frame in a size that complements the wall of your choice (make sure it’s not too big or too small). Remove the back side of it and use it on an accent wall to frame and highlight another piece of matching gold decor.
- Have amazing family pictures that you’d like to display? Get some gold frames in varying hues and finishes. Pop the pictures in and make a photo frame collage on the wall.
- Instead of having a gold decor wall, get a piece of modern art in gold hues to sit atop a neutral wall. This will look better, making your walls appear more sophisticated.
- If you have windows in a room, opt for gold curtain rods to incorporate subtle gold accents into your room.
- Mirrors with gold frames make perfect gold home decor for walls too. They even help make your space look bigger. Mirrors are a winning gold home decor trend, and you just can’t go wrong with it.
Focus on the Lighting
Most people wouldn’t pay attention to the way lighting affects their overall home decor. This includes everything from the sconces to the luminescence of the bulbs you use. Whether you’re thinking of gold decor for bedroom or gold decor living room, use the following tips to work your way around the lighting.
- Spend smartly on gold lamps. You could choose between table lamps or floor lamps according to your room design. Lamps are a great way to decorate a space with gold accents. They set the tone for your room and easily count among affordable ways to spruce up your home décor.
- Pair a gold base with a neutral lampshade and install gold luminescent bulbs to create a warm, glittery ambience in your room. This works exceptionally well in bedrooms where you want to set a cosy mood.
- Pendant lights are all the rage these days. Whether you’re more into the industrial gold decor or still tilted towards the modern minimalistic style, you can find pendant lights in various designs and shades of gold to install in your living spaces.
Beauty is in the Details
A lot of times, it’s the smallest of things that make the biggest impact. You could have a large gold frame pasted to your wall, but the small gold elephant standing on your coffee table would draw an outsider’s eye. With gold home decor – you’ve got to be careful about the details.
- Instead of going overboard with too many decorative gold cushions, simply place a metallic gold coffee table in the living room. If the entire table is too much, get one with gold legs. It’s all about adding that touch of gold.
- Replace your old kitchen fixtures and cabinet hardware with gold ones. This is a quick and efficient way to make your kitchen look drab to fab!
- Distribute gold accent pieces evenly around the room. Do not concentrate all your gold home decor at one place. The more scattered they are, the more they will tie the room together in terms of decor.
- Vases, sculptures, trays, pots, or any other gold decor items that lure you – make sure you pick things that complement each other. They may be odd trinkets, but as long as they look good when styled together, you’ve done a good job.
Things to Keep in Mind When Decorating with Gold Accents
Now that you know how to incorporate gold home decor to your living spaces, it’s time to get to the most important part of the post – how to avoid overdoing gold decor in your home. Here’s what you need to be careful about.
Less is More
One of the most popular interior design trends for 2019 is to keep the home decor simple. Obviously, the same applies to your gold home decor too. Instead of opting for overly elaborate pieces of decorative gold accessories, pick smaller ones that make an impact.
This can be achieved by placing a gold vase on your pristine white hallway console or adding a gold tile, at considerable intervals in your otherwise black herringbone patterned kitchen backsplash. The idea is to make the gold pop – and you can do that with the smallest gold decor pieces. Just add a fancy gold mirror to the wall and you can accomplish that look you desire!
Balance it Out
Remember that gold home decor is a dominant interior design element. Yes, even a little of it goes a long way to add glamour and shine to your living space. So, when you’re using gold decor items to liven up a room, make sure everything else around it is muted and textured enough to balance out and complement sparkle.
Keep the colour palette as basic as possible. Gold usually works well with darker hues – we’ve all seen black and gold bedroom decor that makes us drool – navy blue and hunter green also have a similar impact. But if you want to tip over to the other side of the spectrum then white, mint green, and dusty pink also work wonders.
Another way to balance out your gold home decor accessories is to add texture. Think textured fabric – wool, jute, twill and brocade; or go for home decor accessories with different finishes – stainless, rustic, glazed, or anything that works better for you.
Pick Statement Pieces
When shopping for gold decor accessories for the home, prioritise impact over quantity. You could drastically change the way your room looks with just a pair of gold lamps strategically placed to make an impact. They would make a far better style statement than having the lamps, a gold accent wall, and glittery gold throw pillows!
Pick your decorative gold accessories wisely. If you already have a gold accent wall, may be all you need after that are subtle hints of dull gold in your fabric and decor choices. On the contrary, if you want to add glitz to a dull living space, add a couple of decorative gold pillows with carefully selected gold accent pieces (avoid the chunky items) to liven up your space.
With all this, we believe you have all the right techniques to spruce up your living spaces with some gold accents. Whether you’re designing the ideal family room or going for a complete kitchen re-haul – use these gold decor ideas to get the most out of your effort.
Gold home decor accents can be integrated almost anywhere in your homes and as long as you’re careful about maintaining balance – they’ll look absolutely fab!
Just remember, the key to getting your gold home decor right is to achieve balance – balance with the surroundings and placement. Purposefully placed gold accent pieces will never fail at delivering that subtle imperial look that you desire for your home.