- When to Cancel Ejari
- Procedure for Ejari Cancellation
- Cancel Ejari Online
- Ejari Cancellation Fee
- Ejari Contact
Rental agreements in Dubai cannot be considered complete unless registered with Ejari. This service plays a critical role in safeguarding the rights of all parties involved in the tenancy agreement. An Ejari registration typically lasts for a year and can be renewed annually. However, tenants also have the option to terminate their rental agreement at the end of the term or sometimes even before that. Here is everything you need to learn about the Ejari cancellation procedure in Dubai.
WHEN CAN I CANCEL EJARI IN DUBAI?
Whether you are a tenant or a landlord, it is possible to cancel your Ejari contracts. There are two ways to do that:
- Early termination of the rental contract
- Cancelling the contract if parties don’t wish to renew the contract at the end of the lease
Your Ejari contract will not be cancelled automatically after the expiry of the contract. In fact, it will be difficult for you to relocate to another location/property as a tenant or lease your property to a new party as a landlord if Ejari isn’t cancelled!
As per RERA law, only one Ejari registration should exist against a property. That is why landlords are responsible for cancelling the Ejari as soon as the tenant moves out.
PROCEDURE FOR EJARI CANCELLATION: HOW TO CANCEL EJARI
You can cancel Ejari through the Real Estate Trustees Centre and the app. Let’s look at both options.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR EJARI CANCELLATION THROUGH THE REAL ESTATE TRUSTEES CENTRE
To cancel Ejari, you need the following:
- Emirates ID of both parties
- Ejari Certificate
- Tenant’s passport
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) by the landlord
- The last DEWA bill issued to the tenant
- Original unified tenancy contract
- A termination letter from the property owner
If the tenant is a company, you must provide both the owner and manager’s Emirates ID and trade licence.
You also have to submit a copy of the Ejari certificate. You can use the tenancy contract as a substitute if the Ejari certificate is unavailable.
The Ejari cancellation NOC letter should contain the following details:
- Name of the landlord
- Building title
- DEWA premise number
- Plot number
- Personal information of the tenant
- A statement of vacancy
- Signature of the landlord (matching the signature on his passport)
- The company seal (if the landlord is a company)
- The most crucial step in the Ejari cancellation process is submitting the final DEWA bill. The cancellation process remains incomplete if there are any outstanding DEWA bills.
- If you submit a physical copy of the bill, it should have ‘Final Bill’ and ‘Paid’ stamped clearly. Alternatively, you can submit a copy of the “Green Bill,” which can be downloaded from the DEWA website.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO CANCEL EJARI THROUGH THE APP
- A copy of the unified tenancy contract
ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS FOR EJARI CANCELLATION
Moving on, other documents may be required in exceptional cases. For instance, you must submit the title deed if the property was sold during the tenancy term and the buyer took over the lease. In this case, the new owner must also submit their Emirates ID or valid passport copy if they are not UAE residents.
Likewise, suppose a landlord’s representative signed the tenancy agreement. In that case, they also need to provide the Power of Attorney that authorises the representative to sign the lease on behalf of the owner. The representative must also submit their Emirates ID, residency visa or passport.
HOW TO CANCEL EJARI ONLINE
There are multiple methods for the online cancellation of Ejari. You can go for any of the following procedures.
REAL ESTATE SERVICES TRUSTEES CENTRES
- Visit the Real Estate Services Trustee Centres (real estate service trustee centres/Ejari cancellation centres)
- Submit the required documents
- Wait for the verification and approval of the transaction data
- Pay the fee and get a payment receipt
THROUGH DLD’S WEBSITE
You can cancel your Ejari via the Dubai Land Department as well. To proceed with the service, follow these steps:
- Visit the Dubai Land Department (DLD) website
- Select the “Services” tab
- Click “Tenant” from the drop-down menu
- Click “Real Estate Rental Services”
- Proceed to “Request for Cancellation of Ejari Contract”
- Click “Access this Service” on the top left (The “green” tab)
- Login to your DLD account as an owner/tenant/individual/business user
- Enter Emirates ID or user name/password (Business users)
- Enter Emirates ID/mobile number/title deed/email address (Owners/tenants/individuals)
Alternatively, you can:
- Login through UAE Pass
- Enter your mobile number/Emirates ID/email address to login
- Proceed to the process completion.
THROUGH THE DUBAI REST APP
Another way to cancel Ejari online is through the DLD REST app. Here, you will have to:
- Sign up or log in to the Dubai REST app
- Provide all the required details
- Attach the required documents
- Submit the application
- Wait for the review. You will get an email if your request is approved.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO CANCEL EJARI
Ejari cancellation fee varies depending upon the method you use. If you’re applying through the app, it is free. However, getting it cancelled through Real Estate Services Trustees Centres will cost you AED 40 (excluding VAT).
EJARI CONTACT DETAILS
- Location: Multiple, including Al Manara Centre (check out the complete list of Ejari typing centres in Dubai)
- Monday to Thursday: 07:30 a.m. to 03:30 p.m.
- Friday: 07:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Contact: 800-4488
FAQs About Ejari Cancellation
WHAT IS THE COST TO CANCEL EJARI ONLINE?
You can cancel Ejari online for free.
HOW MUCH TIME DOES IT TAKE TO CANCEL EJARI IN DUBAI?
The duration depends upon the type of service channel you opt for. The process of Ejari cancellation through Real Estate Services Trustee Centres takes four working hours. Owners can cancel Ejari instantly through the app.
CAN YOU CANCEL EJARI ONLINE?
Yes, you can cancel Ejari online via the Dubai REST app, the Dubai Now app or DLD’s official website.
HOW TO DOWNLOAD THE EJARI CERTIFICATE?
To initiate the download process, please visit the Dubai Land official website and enter your phone number. You will then be prompted to provide your ‘DEWA Premise Number or ‘Municipality Number’. Once you have provided the required information, select the ‘Download PDF’ option and receive your Ejari certificate.
CAN SOMEONE ELSE DO EJARI CANCELLATION ON MY BEHALF?
Although it is the landlord’s responsibility to cancel Ejari, they can delegate this task to a trusted friend, family member or agent.
This wraps up our Ejari cancellation guide.
Are you thinking of renewing your Ejari? There are several things to consider before renewing a tenancy contract in Dubai. So, analyse your situation and determine whether the existing property meets all your requirements or if you want to move to another place and then renew the Ejari.
Subscribe to MyBayut to learn more about living in the UAE.