The UAE government has implemented various strategies to maintain law and order in the country. Dubai is also an excellent example of a multi-cultural city which offers a safe and secure environment for people from multiple nationalities. The Government of Dubai not only maintains law and order but at the same time, protects the rights of its citizens. Hence, corporations and individuals from across the world have moved to the emirate safe in the knowledge that their rights as expats will be protected. Authorities like Dubai Public Prosecution have also played a vital role in maintaining this environment of safety and stability.
HISTORY OF DUBAI PUBLIC PROSECUTION
The late H.H. Sheikh Maktoum Bin Rashid Al Maktoum established the Dubai Public Prosecution as per Law No. 8. The department was launched in the year 1992 with the goal to achieve judicial justice keeping in mind the rights of the public in the emirate.
The Dubai Public Prosecution over the years has proven to be an effective state entity. It has simplified procedures and removed hurdles from the legal processes without negatively impacting any court proceedings.
FUNCTIONS OF DUBAI PUBLIC PROSECUTION
Dubai Public Prosecution is the only authority in the land that can initiate criminal cases. It is also an integral part of the judicial structure of the emirate as it investigates, imposes charges (depending on evidence) and refers the accused to the competent court. The department also supervises the case proceedings in the criminal court.
The Public Prosecution along with the law enforcement works together to safeguard the public. Once a complaint is made to the police, they have to refer the matter to the prosecutor’s office within the next 48 hours. The police then execute orders from the Public Prosecution by taking an initial statement from the complainant, witnesses, arrest suspects and carries out the investigation. After the arrest, the Public Prosecution has to question the accused within 24 hours and make a decision about release or arrest according to Article 47.
Deciding the release or arrest of an accused is the chief responsibility of the office of Public Prosecution. However, there are multiple other functions which are directly or indirectly linked to the general public. Some of Dubai Public Prosecution functions are as follows:
- Registration of cases
- A complete investigation of the cases, including considering a request for reinvestigation.
- Considering and deciding the bail requests of the accused and sentenced
- Considering requests regarding bail conditions. Cancelling bails when necessary
- Considering requests for name clearing
- Providing and receiving documents related to any case
- Providing appropriate certificates
- Considering exemption requests
- Opening the argument in court
- Granting the accused permission to leave the country
- Issuing local or international arrest warrants
- Approving phone monitoring
- Looking into a pending court case (first instances, appeal or cessation)
- Allowing the opening or deciding on the closing of a company
- Receiving seized items
- Cancelling administrative deportations
- Considering request for mercy
- Hearing witness statements
- Receiving appeals against a case
- Considering complaints against a judicial officer, lawyer, doctor or a government employee
- Challenging or appealing a civil case
- Implementing or suspending a penalty
- Publishing a criminal judgement in the newspaper
- Assigning an expert to a case.
WHAT ARE THE DUBAI PUBLIC PROSECUTION WORKING HOURS?
The official Dubai Public Prosecution working hours are from 07:30 am until 02:30 pm, Sunday to Thursday.
HOW CAN ONE MEET THE PROSECUTORS?
You can meet the prosecutors by making an appointment. If you don’t have an appointment, the set meeting window is from 07:45 am to 08:45 am.
IN WHAT LANGUAGES CAN THE REQUESTS BE MADE?
All requests to the Public Prosecutors have to be made in Arabic.
WHAT ARE THE FEES FOR DUBAI PUBLIC PROSECUTION E-SERVICE?
There are no specific fees for Dubai Public Prosecution E-service. Charges vary depending on your request, and some submissions are made free of charge.
HOW CAN I MAKE A DUBAI PUBLIC PROSECUTION CASE INQUIRY?
Inquiries can be made in person during working hours, via the official website, official app and via SMS.
WHAT IS THE DUBAI PUBLIC PROSECUTION CONTACT NUMBER?
You can call at +971-4-334-6666. Another alternative is to use the live chat option on the official website.
WHERE ARE THE PROSECUTION OFFICES LOCATED IN POLICE STATIONS?
The prosecution offices are located at the following police stations:
- Rashidiya Police Station
- Muraqqabat Police Station
- Al Qusais Police Station
- Sea Ports Police Station
- Jebel Ali Police Station
- Bur Dubai Police Station
- Nad Al Sheba Police Station
- Naif Police Station
- Airport Police Station
The office of Dubai Public Prosecutors is a vital component in the state machinery. It plays an essential role in delivering prompt justice and at the same time, upholds individual rights. The Public Prosecutor’s office works with Dubai Police and Dubai Courts to look into all legal complaints made by the public.
With digitalisation, the government has made it much easier for all parties involved to make all types of requests to the Public Prosecutor. In fact, along with the Public Prosecutor app, a number of other governmental apps in Dubai have been introduced in recent years. All for the sole purpose of making life easier for residents of the emirate.