The Holy Month of Ramadan is here meaning Muslims across the world will be uniting to fast and follow their religious duties. In Dubai, Muslims and non-Muslims often offer a helping hand to those less fortunate via different charitable organisations in the city. Hence, contributing to charity in Dubai during Ramadan is prevalent at this special time of year. So, it’s with the spirit of giving very much in mind, that we’ve put together this list of inspirational charities in Dubai.
BEST RAMADAN CHARITIES IN DUBAI
Here is a list of the major Ramadan charities in Dubai 2022 that you can reach out to donate food, money and time.
1 BILLION MEALS
Launched by H.H Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of UAE and Ruler of Dubai, One Billion Meals is one of the biggest charities in Dubai. Last year, Dubai successfully concluded the 100 Million Meals charity campaign. For Ramadan 2022 in Dubai, the campaign will cater to the needs of the local and international community through the “1 Billion Meals”.
The charity is organised by Mohammed Bin Rashid Humanitarian and Global Initiatives Establishment (MBRGI) in collaboration with the UN World Food Programme (WFP), United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and specialised humanitarian and charity institutions in targeted countries.
This year the charity will offer assistance to disadvantaged communities in 50 countries.
The 1 billion meals campaign is one of the biggest food distribution drives in the UAE.
HOW TO CONTRIBUTE?
You can pay as little as 1 AED to the charity. Those interested can donate to the ‘1 Billion Meals’ campaign in four ways including:
- Visit the campaign’s website www.1billionmeals.ae and follow the steps to donate online.
- The next method is to make a bank transfer through Emirates NBD Bank account number AE300260001015333439802
- You can also donate by sending “Meal” or “وجبة” on SMS to 1020 on the du network or 1110 on the Etisalat network.
- Contact the 1 billion Meal Campaign call centre on the toll-free number 800-9999 to donate.
DOUBLE BLESSINGS CAMPAIGN BY CHOITHRAMS
Dubai’s popular supermarket, Choithrams, has announced a Ramadan campaign, ”Double Blessings” to support a UAE-based philanthropic organisation – Dubai Cares.
Under this campaign, the supermarket will offer patrons a choice of food boxes: a box of rations for AED 20 or a ready-to-eat meal at AED 10. Patrons can purchase a carton of selected rations for AED 50. The proceeds of each sale will be given to Dubai Cares to support school feeding programmes globally.
HOW TO DONATE?
Buy a box from a range of options listed above. The boxes are available online as well as in brick-and-mortar stores of Choithrams across Dubai.
GIFT A MEAL INITIATIVE
Make My Meal is the UAE’s largest online meal plan and tiffin service. It was launched in collaboration with Emirates Red Crescent, the Government of Dubai, UAE Food Bank and the Islamic Affairs and Charitable Activities Department.
The ”Gift a Meal” charity in Dubai aims to help low-income families, the unemployed and anyone who is in need of daily essentials. For Ramadan 2022, the Gift a Meal campaign will also provide meals for frontline health care professionals who are putting their lives at stake on a daily basis during the pandemic.
HOW TO DONATE?
- Go to https://www.makemymeal.ae/Home/giftmeal
- Scroll down to the form given below
- Enter your credentials
- Choose the number of boxes you want to donate.
Please note that a box of one meal costs AED 14. You also have an option to choose from non-vegetarian or vegetarian meals.
COMPANIES FOR GOOD
When it comes to Ramadan charities in Dubai, Companies for Good is one of the most well-reputed UAE-based charities that support various causes across the country.
For Ramadan 2022, the charity is introducing the ”Ramadan Food Distribution Activity” to help blue-collar workers and low-income families.
There are three options available for you to choose from:
- Ramadan – Iftar Meal Distribution: The packet includes chicken biryani, raita, fruit, dates and juice.
- COVID-19 Kit: This features surgical masks (x3), soap, hand sanitiser (100ml), shampoo, toothpaste and a toothbrush.
- Grocery Parcel: This includes wheat flour (1Kg), masoor /toor dal (1Kg), sugar, chickpeas (1Kg), semolina (500gms), rice (1Kg), cooking oil (750ml), toothpaste and toothbrush.
HOW TO DONATE?
- Visit the official ‘Companies for Good’ website in the UAE (www.companiesforgood.ae).
- Call them at +971-54-777-1703 to know how to get involved and make relevant contributions.
BEIT AL KHAIR SOCIETY
Beit Al Khair Society has launched a ”Fasting Project” this Ramadan. Join the cause by paying for a meal. Each meal costs only AED 15.
HOW TO DONATE?
- Go to beitalkhair.org/en/epay/fasting-project/
- Enter your credentials.
- Click ”Pay Online Now”.
DAR AL BER SOCIETY
Dar Al Ber Society launched the ”Al Ajwadi in Ramadan” campaign that aims to raise 140 million dirhams to help the underprivileged during the holy month in Dubai.
Out of 140 million dirhams, 65 million will be used as zakat money for fasting breakfast projects, the distribution of Eid clothing, Ramadan food baskets and other such initiatives.
However, the rest will be invested in other charitable projects such as building orphanages, digging wells, constructing mosques, sponsoring orphans and memorizing the Holy Quran in and across the UAE.
The campaign will until the end of Eid Al-Fitr, aiding thousands of people in the UAE, from divorced women and widows to workers and low-income families.
HOW TO DONATE?
You can go to their website https://www.daralber.ae/en/home or call their donation hotline at 800-79 – for full details.
EMIRATES RED CRESCENT SOCIETY
Emirates Red Crescent (ERC) has launched this year’s Ramadan campaign known as ”Ramadan: Continued Giving”. Launched under the supervision of H.H. Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Ruler’s Representative in the Al Dhafra Region and Chairman of the Emirates Red Crescent (ERC), the campaign aims to benefit over 2.1 million people across the globe.
ERC’s Ramadan programmes comprise Zakat-al-Fitr, Eid clothing, Iftar and fast-breaking projects, with a budget of more than AED 36.8 million.
Talking about their goal with these programmes, Dr Mohammed Ateeq Al Falahi, ERC Secretary-General said:
“The ERC’s Ramadan campaign, which we are launching today, aims to gain from the support of philanthropists to ease the suffering of people, improve their lives, maintain human dignity and address poverty, hunger and disease.”
Salem Al Rayes Al Ameri, Deputy Secretary-General of the Local Aid Sector at the ERC also backed the vision of Mr Hamoud with statistics.
As per his estimation:
- 1,450,438 residents will benefit from ERC’s Ramadan programmes, preliminary valued at AED 21M.
- From the Iftar programme alone, some 1.1M people will be benefitted, which makes it worth nearly AED 11M.
- And Ramadan mir Programme which is aimed at providing food to needy people up to a cost of AED 4.2M will benefit over 40,000 people in the country.
- Additionally, over 50,000 people will receive Zakat al-Fitr from a donation pool of AED 4.3M.
- More than 2,000 orphans will receive Eid clothing worth approximately AED 630k.
HOW TO DONATE?
- The ERC has dedicated around 250 locations nationwide, in malls, hangout joints and markets. Additionally, you can donate through their centres, SMS, bank transfers and smart app.
- Those who want to donate through their website can follow this link: https://www.emiratesrc.ae/en/donate.aspx.
- For more information about donating to their campaign, you can call them at 800-733.
In addition to the aforementioned charities, you can also donate to the following:
- Friends of Cancer Patients (FOCP)
- Dubai Cares
- Noor Dubai
- World Vision
- Save the Children
FAQs ABOUT CHARITY DURING RAMADAN IN DUBAI
WHY DO MUSLIMS PAY ZAKAT IN RAMADAN?
Zakat is one of the five pillars of Islam. The practice of charitable giving is common amongst Muslims around the world. They donate money, food and other necessities to the less fortunate during Ramadan.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE RAMADAN TRADITIONS?
Ramadan traditions around the world vary from one country to another. In the UAE Haq Al Laila celebrates the arrival of the Holy Month. It begins on the eve of 15th Sha’ban – the Islamic month before Ramadan. The basic purpose of this event is to spread awareness among the people and children about Ramadan. Ramadan Canons are an old age tradition in the UAE and are fired to mark the start of Ramadan, Iftar time and Eid.
That’s all we have for our round-up of charities in Dubai in Ramadan 2022. Donate your offerings or sadaqah during Ramadan to any institution of your choice. You can also donate to these charity projects for children in Dubai.
Ramadan is a very spiritual time in the UAE. To facilitate fasting residents each year, the private and public sector Ramadan working hours in the UAE are reduced.
Stay tuned to MyBayut for more updates on Ramadan in Dubai!