Are you a Canadian expat looking to renew your passport in the UAE? Thanks to a streamlined process, Canadian nationals working and living in the United Arab Emirates can get their passports renewed easily and quickly. Read on to find out more about the Canadian passport renewal in the UAE including the step-by-step process, renewal fees and more.
Canadian passport renewal in the UAE
The UAE’s position as a global leader in trade and tourism has prompted many Canadian nationals to make their home here. Recent improvements in the passport services have made it easier for them to continue living and working in the United Arab Emirates.
Where do I renew a Canadian passport?
There are two places where you can go for Canadian passport renewal:
- Embassy of Canada to the United Arab Emirates in Abu Dhabi
- Consulate General of Canada in Dubai
EMBASSY OF CANADA DETAILS
One of the many embassies in the UAE, the Canadian Embassy’s roster of services includes passport services, citizenship, notarial, visa and immigration assistance. Here are the additional details to keep in mind before booking an appointment at the Canadian embassy in Abu Dhabi for passport renewal:
- Address: Abu Dhabi Trade Towers, Abu Dhabi Mall, 9th Floor, West Tower – Abu Dhabi
- Contact: +971-2-6940-300 (Abu Dhabi)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Timings: 08:00 am to 04:00 pm (Closed on Friday and Saturday)
CONSULATE GENERAL OF CANADA DETAILS
Apart from services like passport renewals and replacements, the Consulate General of Canada in Dubai offers consular, notarial, citizenship services and deals with general enquiries. Here are additional details to keep in mind before visiting the Canadian consulate in Dubai for passport renewal:
- Address: Jumeirah Emirates Towers, 19th Floor, Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai
- Contact: +971-4-404-8444
- Email: email@example.com
- Timings: 08:00 am to 12:00 pm, 01:00 pm to 04:00 pm (Closed on Friday and Saturday)
Do I have to book an appointment?
Canadians in the UAE can book appointments at the Canadian Embassy in Abu Dhabi and the consulate in Dubai to renew their passports. To make a booking, you can visit the Government of Canada website for the UAE.
What are the eligibility requirements for Canadian passport renewal in the UAE?
To renew a Canadian passport from the UAE, your current passport:
- Must never have been reported stolen or lost
- Must not be damaged
- Must have the same date of birth, name and place of birth required on your new passport
- Must have the same gender identifier you require on the new passport. This can either be printed on the observation sticker or your current passport.
What is the Canadian passport renewal process?
Applicants are required to download and complete an application form before arriving for their appointments at the venues mentioned above. To complete the application form:
- Download the online Adult Simplified Renewal Passport Application from the Government of Canada website
- Fill the form
- Print the form
- Sign each page
Documents to renew Canadian passport
Apart from the renewal form and the original Canadian passport which is either not expired, or has been expired for less than a year on the date of application., those who apply for Canadian passport renewal must submit two recent photos. But unlike general applications, they will not need a guarantor or anyone else to sign them. You must also mention the following details on the reverse side of one photograph:
- The date the photos were taken
- The name and address of the studio or photographer who took the photos.
What is the Canadian passport renewal fee in the UAE?
The Canadian passport renewal fees differ slightly depending on where you apply. For example, here is the fee structure of passport services, with prices in both Canadian and UAE currencies, at the Canadian embassy in Abu Dhabi:
- 10-year adult passport (age 16 or over): CAD 260 | AED 720
- 5-year adult passport (age 16 or over): CAD 190| AED 525
- 5-year child passport (0-15 years of age): CAD 100 | AED 275
The Canadian consulate in Dubai has this payment structure for passport services:
- 10-year adult passport (age 16 or over): CAD 260 | AED 750
- 5-year adult passport (age 16 or over): CAD 190| AED 550
- 5-year child passport (0-15 years of age): CAD 100 | AED 290
After the payment is made, include the receipt with the application and submit it to the nearest Canadian consulate or embassy in the UAE.
Canadian passport renewal FAQs
Here are some frequently asked questions about the Canadian passport renewal process:
What is the processing time for passport applications?
The Canadian passport renewal time in the UAE can vary based on the volume of requests received. The processing time for Canadian passport renewal applications in the UAE is generally 20 business days, exclusive of mailing time. All passports are printed in Canada.
I can’t wait for 20 days. What if I want to receive my passport urgently?
Applicants who need their passports renewed urgently or under exceptional circumstances, like in the case of illness or death, may contact the Canadian embassy or consulate in the UAE. Applicants must keep in mind that additional fees apply for expedited requests.
Where do I pay the passport renewal fees?
Online payments only apply for acquiring passports for children or to replace a lost or stolen passport. Payment options at Canadian consulates and embassies differ depending on where you plan to apply. Before visiting your chosen office, contact them for payment options.
How are renewals different from general applications?
Unlike the process for general applications, those who apply for renewals are not required to:
- Use a guarantor
- Provide supporting identification
- Submit proof of Canadian citizenship
Why must I submit my expired passport for the renewal process?
The application office uses your recent passport for the renewal application since you will not be providing:
- A guarantor declaration
- Proof of citizenship
- Supplementary identification
Moreover, the expired passport must:
- Have been issued within a five or ten-year validity
- Still be valid or expired for no more than a year
Am I eligible to renew my passport if my most recent one was stolen, damaged or lost?
No, in such case, you will need to apply for a general application to get a new passport. The concerned authorities will also need to confirm what happened to your last passport for which you will need to complete the “Declaration concerning a lost, stolen, inaccessible, damaged or found Canadian travel document.”
Are children eligible for passport renewals?
Children are not eligible for passport renewals. You must use the general passport application for a child under the age of 16.
Are processing times faster for renewals?
No, the associated costs and processing times are the same for both types of applications.
I have to renew my passport. What must I do if my original passport still has a valid visa?
Renewal applicants who have a valid visa on their passports can use the application to inform the service that they want the original passports returned to them and that they still need the visa. Failure to do so may end up damaging the visa when the previous passport is cancelled.
This brings us to the end of our guide to Canadian passport renewal in the UAE. If you plan on visiting Canada from Dubai instead, check out how you can apply for a Canada visit visa from Dubai. For further assistance in passport applications and renewals, consider our guide to passport and visa services in the UAE.
For more updates on immigration processes in the UAE, subscribe to MyBayut.