If you are looking for some affordable home improvement ideas to bring life to your home, why not start with the kitchen? When it comes to home improvement, a lot of us tend to ignore upgrading the kitchen; the focus is always on either the living rooms or bedrooms. Well, changing up the environment of a kitchen can do wonders and bring life to your home, especially if it is an open plan kitchen. So without further ado, let’s go into some affordable kitchen upgrades you can do at home to make your kitchen look like it belongs in a 5-star hotel.
5 Easy Kitchen Upgrades to make it look luxurious
The following kitchen upgrade techniques are great for both, people who don’t and do have a knack for being crafty. These kitchen upgrades are simple, easy, budget-friendly and best of all, don’t require any fancy tools to carry out. If you have all the basic tools in your home you should be good to go to take a swing at these DIY kitchen upgrades and
1. DEclutter and clean the kitchen
Before making any major changes to your kitchen’s look, the first thing you should do as part of your kitchen upgrades is to give your kitchen a good wash and declutter any unwanted items that are lying around. Your kitchen may already have a nice look which can be brought back to life by a simple wash and declutter.
- Transfer any pots and pans that are kept outside, into your cabinets by adding hooks to the inside of your cabinet doors and hang the pots from them. Also, move any unused appliances into the cabinets to open up space on your kitchen countertop. Decluttering can help make any room look bigger than it actually is.
- Get rid of any grout and stains which have built upon the ties of your floor by giving them a clean and polish and make them look as good as new. The same goes for if you have tiled walls. This will allow for a fresh look for your kitchen.
- Polish the countertops and cabinets to rid them of any grit and oil residue to help give it a sleek look and make your kitchen look luxurious on a budget.
2. UPGRADE FROM PLASTIC
Our next tip is one of the easiest kitchen upgrade techniques there in the book. Although plastic is a great and inexpensive way to store your items, they can dull the look of your kitchen. Try using glass or metal alternatives for the items in your kitchen, they don’t have to be an expensive one. You can easily buy affordable glass and metal kitchen items and decor from discount shops like Daiso, Day To Day and even IKEA, which is an inexpensive way to make a kitchen look luxurious on a budget
- Switch your plastic tupperware, bowls, plates and cups to glass ones. This will instantly lift up the kitchen and make it look luxurious. You can purchase inexpensive plates and dinner sets from the discount centres, but you can also find them in bigger supermarket chains like Lulu and Carrefour.
- If you have cereal boxes lying around the kitchen, transfer them into food storage containers that have metal tops instead of plastic, as the metal covers will add a touch of luxury to your kitchen without a lot of effort. You can purchase these storage containers from the discount shops.
- Get rid of any plastic holders, plates racks or cup holder and invest in some affordable metal holders for your plates and cups. This is the easiest way to get your kitchen looking brand new and you won’t even have to dish out a lot of money.
3. follow A COLOUR THEME
Updating a kitchen on a budget doesn’t require you to spend a lot of money. To easily redesign your kitchen on a budget to make it look upscale is to choose a luxurious colour palette. Colour combinations that work great together, to give off a luxurious vibe and to make a kitchen look expensive are gold and white, granite and greys and varying with high-gloss and matte finished. White paint works best to brighten up any room. So consider painting your walls and cabinets white to instantly brighten up your kitchen space. If painting is a difficult task, you could easily make anything white by adding some white contact paper, which acts like a wallpaper but is more durable and is likely to last longer in the kitchen.
4. don’t be afraid to use gold
Gold is an easy way of updating the kitchen on a budget. We don’t mean actual gold but faux gold. An easy way to add gold to your kitchen is by switching out the knobs and handles on the cabinets with gold knobs to subtly introduce it into the kitchen. White cabinets ornate with gold fixtures and accents can instantly make a kitchen look expensive. If replacing knobs and cabinets colour seems a bit difficult, the next step is a great way to introduce gold into your kitchen.
5. ADD MINIMALIST KITCHEN DECOR
Kitchen decor is a fairly understated technique for upgrading a kitchen on a budget. An easy way to make a kitchen look luxurious on a budget is by adding simple items such as a crystal fruit bowl or glass salt and pepper shakers can instantly make a kitchen look expensive. Also, try switching out your old and ragged kitchen towels and upgrade them, You can take this a step further, by matching the trinkets and towels to the colour theme you have chosen. Alternatively, if your kitchen is following a neutral colour theme, try adding kitchen decor that has colours contrasting to the theme, to add pops of colours to the entire kitchen. Just make sure not to go overboard, as adding too many items can clutter the look of your kitchen.
Adding these simple kitchen renovation techniques is an easy way to make your kitchen look beautiful and we hope they help you with your redecorating journey. If you’re looking for more ways to spruce up your living space on a budget, check out these affordable ideas on how to make your home look luxurious. Which one of these kitchen upgrade techniques are you going to take a swing at? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to our MyHome section for more fun and home improvement techniques!