Negotiation is a crucial skill for real estate agents, as it can significantly impact the outcome of a deal. Whether you’re working with landlords or discussing your commission with clients, your real estate negotiation skills need to be on point.
We would recommend attending Introduction to Negotiation, our interactive workshop at Bayut Academy, to master negotiation through roleplays, insights and activities. Now, let’s look at nine quick tips to help you improve your negotiation skills:
1. Prepare And Research: Before you start negotiation, gather as much information as possible about the property, the parties involved and the market. You can use Bayut’s resources, including our Area Guides, Building Guides and Dubai Transactions, to collect data and insights about the property and price trends in the area. Apart from things like the property’s history (available on Building Guides) and market trends, try to understand what both parties want. For example, if you’re negotiating with a seller, are they looking to recoup expenses incurred from a remodel? Or are they looking to sell as soon as possible?
This knowledge will give help you understand what is important to all parties and help you find a win-win solution.
2. Set Clear Objectives: Once you’ve done your research, it is much easier to set your objectives and priorities before negotiating. For example, you can establish the lowest acceptable price for the property, the number of cheques accepted (if a rental), selling or buying a unit with furnishings, etc. Doing this can help you keep your eyes on the prize.
3. Find Your BATNA: Once your objectives are set, finding your BATNA, or your Best Alternative To a Negotiated Agreement, is a great strategy. This is to prepare yourself for a scenario where the negotiation doesn’t work out – and you decide it’s best to walk away.
4. Listen Actively: Effective negotiation involves active listening. Pay close attention to the other party’s requirements, preferences, and concerns. By understanding their perspective, you can tailor your approach to find solutions that benefit both parties.
Get the latest tips for Real Estate Success
5. Build Rapport: Establishing rapport with the other party can help create a constructive negotiation environment – where they’re comfortable with discussing their requirements and concerns. Find common ground by asking them open questions, and try to establish a relationship based on trust and understanding.
6. Be Patient: Effective negotiation can take time and requires patience. Avoid being rigid in your demands and avoid rushing the process – being flexible can be advantageous while negotiating. It is recommended to look for creative ways to address the needs of both parties.
Sometimes, being patient and open to compromise can lead to a more favourable outcome.
7. Use Effective Communication: Articulate your position, interests, and reasoning during the negotiation. Be confident but not confrontational, and stay polite and professional throughout the process.
8. Leverage Your Expertise: Use your knowledge of the market and the real estate process to support any statement you make. You can do this by creating CMAs, talking about the performance of the market based on the data from Dubai Transactions, and about the areas and developments in demand based on your research. Showcasing your knowledge and expertise this way can instil confidence in the other party, and increase the likelihood of a successful negotiation.
9. Control Your Emotions: It is important to stay calm and composed during negotiations because some situations can be emotionally charged. Emotional reactions can hinder constructive discussions, which is why it’s best to focus on the facts and avoid personal attacks or getting defensive.
Remember, negotiation is a skill that improves with practice. By keeping these tips in mind and consistent practice on the field, you’ll be on the right path to becoming an effective negotiator. We would recommend attending our Introduction to Negotiation session at Bayut Academy, our in-house series of workshops where we help you elevate the skills you need to accelerate your real estate career.