If you’re looking for an event that can provide your child with a platform to showcase their talent then the seventh edition of the Sharjah International Film Festival for Children and Youth is the right place for you. Scheduled to kick-off from 13th to 18th October, the festival will offer young cinema enthusiasts an opportunity to showcase their filmmaking skills.
Imagine your little kid conjuring up beautiful tales on celluloid. Wouldn’t it be a wonderful experience for you as a parent and the best ever outcome of all those bedtime stories you used to create for the little one?!
What is the Sharjah International Children’s film festival?
Organised by FUNN, a Sharjah-based organisation dedicated to foster creativity in children, Sharjah International Children’s Film Festival is the most anticipated cultural event in the UAE. Although SIFF’s earlier festivals have been in the news too, this edition is extra special.
It is also a celebration of Sharjah’s recognition as the World Book Capital 2019 by UNESCO. The main focus of this year’s festival will be book-inspired cinema: a unique juxtaposition of literacy and creativity.
What to expect at Sharjah International Film Festival for Children and Youth 2019?
SIFF 2019 will provide young filmmakers with an opportunity to interact with renowned directors and people of the media arts sphere. This year, there are many other nomination categories along with the ones that were available during the former years.
Apart from the Best Student-made Film, Best GCC Short Film, Best International Short Film, Best Animation Film, Best Documentary Film, Best Feature Film, there are also Best Child-and Youth-made Film categories as well.
Procedure to submit a film to the Sharjah International Film Festival for Children and Youth 2019
If you are wondering, how to submit your film to the Sharjah International Film Festival, here are the details:
- Fill the submission form online
- Send the following details about the film to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- The title of the film
- An original copy of the film (with English subtitles).
- Synopsis of the film in English.
- Director’s biography.
- Director’s profile picture (High resolution).
- Director’s passport (should be renewed – not expired).
- Minimum 3 screenshots/ stills of the film (High resolution).
- The trailer of the film (HD).
- Poster of the film (High resolution)
Selection Criteria for the Best Film at the Sharjah Festival 2019
Not every film is going to make it to the top but the ones that will, will be chosen based on the following criteria:
- Best Child Made Film will be the one submitted by the children aged 9 to 13 years old.
- The work of young adults aged between 14 to 18 years old will be considered for Teenage Made Film category.
- Any film directed by a college/university student – be it short live-action, documentary or animation – shall be given placement in the Student Film category.
- There is also a category for Youth Made Film where the films directed by youngsters aged between 19 to 30 years old will be considered.
- For the UAE Short Film section, the film should be directed by an Emirati filmmaker aged over 18 years old. The winning Emirati film director will be awarded prize money amounting to AED 10k.
- Similar to UAE Short Film, Best GCC Short film will be the one directed by a filmmaker from the Gulf region with the same age limit and winning amount.
- Expats aged above 30 years old can submit their films in the Best International Short Film category.
- Anyone aged above 18 years old is eligible to submit a documentary.
- For animation and feature films, the age criteria is above 18 years old.
- AED 5000 will be awarded to the director of the winning film in the Best Child and Best Teenage Made Film categories. The filmmaker of the Best Student Film will be awarded AED 7000.
General Rules and Regulations
Here are a number of rules and regulations that you need to pay heed to before submitting the film to the festival:
- Films submitted shouldn’t have provocative scenes or the usage of indecent language.
- Entries will be reviewed by a committee constituted by the festival. If, for instance, the film is not accepted for the competition, it may be shown in some other section of the event.
- Films from the last year’s festival cannot be submitted again this year.
- The film submitted should not be broadcast on any media source.
- Non-English films should have subtitles in English – Any film without subtitles or subtitles in any language other than English shall not be screened at the festival.
Things to keep in mind while attending the Sharjah International Festival
While planning to attend the Children’s International Film Festival Sharjah, take care of the following things:
- Please arrive half an hour earlier.
- If the school appears late and without prior booking, students will not be accommodated.
- Students must accompany the chaperones – 1 chaperone is required with a group of 15 students.
- Seats are limited so it’s recommended to book the seats for the exact number of attendees in advance
FAQs about Sharjah International Children’s Film Festival 2019
Where is the location of the 7th Sharjah International Film Festival for Children and Youth?
The festival will be held at Al Jawaher Reception and Convention Centre.
What is the ticket price of Sharjah International Festival for Children?
Ticket price for private schools is AED 10.5 per student. Chaperones can enter without paying any entry fee.
What are the timings of Sharjah International Festival for Children?
The festival will be held from 09:00 am to 10:00 pm.
If you want to nurture your child’s creativity, make them know more about the world they live in.
There are so many cultural relevant places in Sharjah where you can take them. Sharjah Art Foundation (SAF), Sharjah Classic Cars Museum, Sharjah Desert Park and so on will definitely expand the horizons of their mind. And if they need to get a fun-filled movie experience, you can always take them to the cinemas in Sharjah.
If you are thinking of moving to the family-friendly emirate of Sharjah, you can also explore the top areas to rent an apartment in the city.